Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Side Post!

Figured I should do a sort of side post here and there when I feel like it.
Today's side post will be about....favorite Final Fantasy character!

     Over the years, I have played several Final Fantasy games, but I've truly only finished a few of them up until now. As the series has gone on, many of them have left behind large and memorable characters that many, many, MANY fans have come to know and love. The first title gave us the memorable Black Mage! Although he doesn't have any form of character or personality in-game, I like to imagine the Black Mage as the Black Mage from 8-bit Theater. He's evil, all-powerful, and out to kill anything generally just for kicks. Thus, I named all my heroes in FF1 after the characters as such. It helped make them feel more memorable to me than giving them lame regular names or stupid complicated ones. Not dissing those that do...but I felt more connected and characteristic with their not-really-name names!

     As far as I've always been concerned, I rarely like the main person in these titles. Cloud and Squall were kind of lame. Cloud was constantly just kinda bleh and un-decisive. Squall just felt like Mr. DepressedAngst. I'd basically just say that I'm more for the side characters than the lead guy, which brings me to my still favorite Final Fantasy character....Vivi!



     Back when I first played Final Fantasy 9, I remember the fondness of playing as the little guy during the beginning. FF9 had this thing where you constantly jumped around on different characters. Throughout the game, you'd jump onto different main characters and play them for periods of time. Honestly, I always liked going around as different characters and seeing what was happening to them while the other guys were doing their thing. They also had active events that would more or less randomly occur while you are playing. It would give you a small glimpse at what other characters were doing, namely NPCs...ANYWAYS!

     Vivi always felt like the innocent little guy who was just trying his best to be wanted by everybody. Although he was mostly sad, he mainly wanted to fit in, have friends, and learn what he was. I won't go into it a lot more as to avoid spoilers. I'd highly suggest Final Fantasy 9 though! Part of the triple-play PSOne Final Fantasy classics! It's also a more classic aimed Final Fantasy, going more for fantasy than sci-fi stuffs. Vivi was the kick-ass little Black Mage as well! Next to Quina, he was probably the most useful battle character in the game! If you were able to get him even just a portion of his spells, he'd really shine in battle. Not to mention his Trance ability! It allowed him to double cast during his turn! You could cast two flare spells OR a fire and then an ice spell on your opponents! Overall, just really loved Vivi...

     Sure, I could go into more details, but I can honestly say I don't really have any. My love for the character that is Vivi is kinda simple and straightforward. He was just mysterious and sad. Always tried his best for the group, and in the end, he just really appealed to me.

Couple of side notes in this post as well!

Side Note 1 - For those curious about the image, all the characters in FF9 had an image that would show up like that if you wanted at the game's main menu. I even made a custom wallpaper that had all 8 characters pictures in it a loooong time ago! I'll go ahead and put up both versions I made for anybody who would possibly want it. It's nothing special, but I felt it came out at okay.

Daniel's FF9 Super Wallpaper Collection!

Side Note 2 - Not really something important, but I thought I'd add that I now own all but ONE of the Final Fantasy main titles! I just recently bought Final Fantasy X, X-2, and 12 on the cheap. I could have gotten them cheaper, but I prefer real cases for my games AND want them to work. And YES, I know I bought X-2, but it was a pair deal and kind of want X-2. I won't be playing through it for the blog, but I'll probably glimpse over it to talk about and rate the game. The only title I lack now is Final Fantasy 13. However, if by some chance the newest one releases before I get done with 13, I'll end up buying that one as well. Going to hope it's a good one because I haven't heard good things about 13...

Side Note 3 - BECAUSE I CAN! I'm considering some of the extra side titles (like X-2), but it wouldn't feel right to do some of the extras and not all of them. Hopefully by the time I go through them all, I'll have at least 3-5 supporters on here. I'll probably ask and/or have them vote at that point. I'll probably consider at least 2 of the off titles.

Now that I'm all said and done...any of my viewers that possibly exist want to share THEIR favorite Final Fantasy character? :O

No comments:

Post a Comment