Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Final Fantasy 7 - Final Thoughts

Woo! I'm keeping with my goal~
I've beaten another Final Fantasy, and I even have a week to spare!
Let's not draw out this foreword...

Final Fantasy 7 - Final Thoughts
Here come the game stats.

Final Fantasy 7 - Game Stats
Hours Played - 70 Hours
Final Party Levels

  • Cloud - Level 75
  • Barret - Level 68
  • Tifa - Level 68
  • Red XIII - Level 69
  • Cait Sith - Level 64
  • Cid - Level 68
  • Yuffie - Level 69
  • Vincent - Level 69
That's a pretty decent level grouping! Much better than I've done for several Final Fantasy titles. I'm pretty sure the only one that comes even close to that is the first one, but that's besides the point. As always, I'll be partially reviewing the game. The aspects to be covered this time are the same ones as I'll be doing for the rest of the series: game play, story, and characters. Let's start up with the gameplaying!

The gameplay takes the Active Time Battle and basically just makes it great. It doesn't do anything super to really change it, but it does add in some good bits. The first really good sign is the Limit Breaks. These are a great way to make specials both awesome yet limited. Unlike FF6, you can't just use them all of the time. This is a good thing...it keeps it from being TOO easy. Although, FF7 is fairly easy overall, but I supposed most RPGs aren't too challenging outside of extra bosses. The Materia system is by far one of the better and most combo-able magic system of all the games. That's saying a lot if you ask me! It is easy to use, and there are large number of possibilities to come out of it. Different types of materia allow for all assortment of character customization. Anybody can use anything as far as it is concerned. Although each character has their own build of sorts, you can technically make anybody into whatever you want. Overall, it's probably one of the easier FF titles to get into. It helps that it is 3D instead of 2D. If there was a complaint about game play, I really don't have anything. It isn't anything new or brilliant, but it does what it does very well. That counts for something if you ask me. Next up...let's talk about characters!

Ah the characters! Final Fantasy 7 sure has their supply of them, but I'm sad to say...they are pretty bad. I realize I'm opening up a bit harsh, but let me continue. Comparatively to just the last game, FF7's character lineup is very weak. The strongest and best characters are Red XIII, Barret, and Cid. They each have a fairly large amount of story behind and with them. That's not to say nobody else has a real backstory, but it feels like everyone outside of these three don't really measure up as much. Cloud's whole backstory feels a bit silly at times, and I feel like it could have been better. It's a big twist, but it's almost stupidly confusing. Tifa just sits around being all hung up and worried about Cloud. If you build Cloud right, he honestly doesn't seem to care about her that much (compared to Aeris). I was sad when Aeris died, but she's really not much besides that. She's the not as hawt chick that seems to excel past the others. Cait Sith is a big pile of plot device. All it/he does is be there to be able to fix the plot! Hell, they even try to make you feel bad when the first one dies, but then they throw in a second one like 30 seconds later! 

The two secret characters (Yuffie and Vincent) aren't too bad. Yuffie is really hard to like by most standards though. I enjoy her, but I think most hate her simply for all the shit she causes for ONE side portion. Vincent's story could be interesting, but anything past his basic story is not given out very well. He's one of the cooler styled characters, but all you get is "mysterious past" and "changes into monsters." If I had to comment on Sephiroth, I'd probably just say...Kefka was better. Sephiroth's part was interesting and all, but he feels like a more serious and toned down Kefka at best. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think it really shows. Regardless, he's one of the more known classic villains in the series. Not the best, but he isn't the worst. I'll end it with that. However, despite my opinions of them all, the characters do accomplish one thing. There is enough variety among them all that anybody could easily pick out one character to like. Overall, they aren't a bad lineup, but I think they could have done better. Next up, I attempt to glance over the story without typing the entire thing up here. 

The story of Final Fantasy 7 is overall...pretty good. It tends to get overshadowed by its characters, but at its base, they have a lot of great ideas and twists behind it all. We start off as a group of terrorists trying to help save the planet, but that story evolves into something more. Tragedies happen, people die, and everybody learns a little something. Had I not played it before, the twists and sudden changes would have been more surprising and crazy! The game really tries to touch down on the idea of modern society versus nature. The idea that "mako" energy is extracted from the planet. That modern society is slowly but surely killing the planet. It's obvious they are trying to hint at certain things (oil stuffs...if you didn't catch my drift). They even touch down on the separation of society with Midgar itself. The people living on the plates as opposed to those in the slums. They certainly tried to cover a lot about our modern society throughout the game. 

The idea of the planet trying to defend itself is pretty cool too. The WEAPONS arising from the planet to help protect it in its time of need. It's a cool way to use it all. The Lifestream theory of how the planet takes and gives life as it lives and dies. It's an interesting way to put it all. One might even try to apply it to our real situation (referring back to their whole hinting at our world). I also enjoyed how they explained magic early on. Near the beginning, they explained that materia gave people the ability to use magic in a sort of different way. It granted them knowledge of the Ancients and therefore...they could perform magic. This might question as to why more people DON'T use it but yeah. 

Although I didn't love the characters, they each played a role in how it all went down. Aeris's death (despite not affecting me GREATLY) was a huge deal. The game makes it feel like she is going to solve everything, and just as it all seems to be okay, she is taken down. They all truly feel her loss, and at times, they aren't sure what to do or where to go. Hell, before it is all said and done, they aren't even sure if what they are doing is right. They want to defeat Sephiroth, but tut they are clueless if his defeat will even save the Planet. It was a different idea for the time. The thought of...despite their best efforts maybe it would all be for nothing. The story should have outshone the characters, but it tended to be overshadowed. In this game's case, it should have went the other direction. Overall, a lot of great ideas and things went into the story, but it didn't come up as strong as it should have. 

This hasn't been my best Final Thoughts, but I've certainly tried to cover what I thought I should. It's a great FF title, but I wouldn't label it the best...yet. Once I play them all, I'm going to try and name what I'd call "the best", but I realized that will still be my opinion. Regardless, FF7 is a great FF title that's easy to get into and play. I'd probably suggest is as a good starting point for anybody wanting to play an RPG for the first time or as a great middle ground for RPGs in general. There's plenty of things for someone to get into so...why not? It's a great title and a classic game. Anybody with a liking for RPGs should definitely go for it. And thus I will end my post there. 

Well...minus this last bit. What comes next? Probably the biggest challenge for me so far, Final Fantasy 8. I've tried to play this title on two or three different occasions and could never get into it. It's a much harder title in the series, and it can be harder to really get into it, as opposed to previous titles. Let us hope for the best! Expect my first post on FF8 soon!!!

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment