Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day 15


Game - Final Fantasy 2, Day 15
Hours Played/Hours Total - 6 hrs / 31 hrs
Starting Point - Nearby the city of Fynn.
Current Goal - Locate Mysidia. Discover what the Masks do. Figure out what happened to Minwu.

What Happened - Got another decently long session in here. Really hoping to finish this title up soon. Looking forward to some of the earlier Final Fantasy titles like 3 and 4. Anyways...
     Starting from Fynn, I had to find the city of Mysidia. The first and foremost problem with this was that I had no idea where it was. Thankfully, this version of the game comes with an accessible world map. With the world map in hand, I was able to determine places I haven't gone to yet. I immediately set sale for a location southwest of my current spot. Some sea travel and a little land travel later, I found the city of Mysidia. The best part of this town..the magic shop! This store contained almost all of the magic that was possible to buy in the game up to this point, and it even had some new spells including the fabled Holy spell! I bought it up and gave it to two of my three main people. Checked out the local weapon shop and armory for some better equipment. After talking to a few NPCs, I found out that I needed to head to the Cave of Mysidia.
     The cave wasn't too hard to find. I had already happened upon it while looking for the city, and so I began the dungeon crawl. However, this was stopped quickly when I ran into a doppelganger! It would have been a daring and interesting fight, but instead of that, it was a minor inconvenience. If I tried to talk to him, it would just do a set event where the characters walked around a bunch and then back to the beginning spot. Since I couldn't go any further, I went back to Mysidia to see if I missed something. Once back, I talked around to the NPCs some more. I hadn't paid attention the first time, and what I had missed was a goddess statue below the middle of town. I went to the statue and placed the White Mask on it. This started part 1 of what I assumed was a 2 part event. With the mask on the statue, I returned back to the Cave of Mysidia.
     Cave of Mysidia...take 2! I went back to the doppelganger, and now it gave me the option to actually DO something with it. I placed the Black Mask on the doppelganger, and it immediately disappeared. With it out of the way, I was able to continue my downward crawl to the bottom. The reason I was in the Cave of Mysidia was to retrieve a Crystal Rod so that I could gain access to Mysidia Tower. (Whole lot of Mysidia up in here!) Anyways, this was a relatively boring dungeon crawl (not that any have been super exciting). Almost all of the enemies in this dungeon were variations of the common Final Fantasy enemy Flan. Flan are giant blob monsters that are generally impervious, or highly defended, against physical attacks. This forces you to use magic on them. After traversing the cave, I was rewarded with the Crystal Rod! With the rod in hand, I teleported out and began the next step to journey to Mysidian Tower.
     The only tower I knew of was just north of my current location. Figuring that it was bound to be the correct one, jumped back on my ship and sailed northward. Just as I was getting close to the tower...the ship was swallowed up by a massive whirlpool. Oh noes! Not the giant whirlpool side plot! Your group wakes up (minus Leila) inside a weird cave...which turns out to be a giant sea monster! You have to crawl through the monster's insides...constantly running through acids (mostly assuming) and fighting off dastardly monsters. Many of the monsters were electrified fish, which I think would cause some major distress to a giant sea creature. Anyways, it's a small event dungeon, and only housed a couple areas, some nice treasure chests, a boss monster, random people, and a lost dragoon! That's right, inside the Leviathan (name of the monster I assume), you find the final, surviving Dragoon named Ricard. You tell him about what you are trying to do and about the status of his people. With these couple of things in mind, he joins your party and your cause. This would be totally awesome...if he came with dragoon-like abilities. Turns out, they gave you a incredibly weak and meh-ly equipped character that you get to raise from nothing. So...yay!
     Ricard informs you that you should be able to escape the Leviathan fairly easily, but you have to go through a large monster near the mouth to get out! This would be a problem if my main characters weren't greatly powered up. After checking a few more chests, I charged at the giant worm monster and began the battle. As usual, I got everybody buffed up one way or another and began my onslaught! A few rounds later, the worm went down. Right behind the worm, was a somehow-intact and working sailing ship. The group jumped on the ship and sailed right out of the Leviathan. That sure was easy...
     Now that I was out of the Leviathan, I continued towards the tower, used the Crystal Rod, and then began my descent to the top. As I was typing this, I remembered (and am going to remind) why I'm going up this tower. Apparently, this tower houses the Ultimate Magic tome at the top, which the rebellion hopes to use against the empire. However, it seems that the tome will wait a bit longer as I close up game for the night. I saved on the second floor and stopped there for now.

Ending Point - Mysidian Tower, 2nd Floor
Goals Accomplished - Found Mysidia. Obtained the Holy Spell! Found out what the masks do. Placed the White Mask on the goddess statue at Mysidia. Placed the Black Mask on the evil doppelganger in the Cave of Mysidia. Recovered the Crystal Rods at the bottom of the Caves of Mysidia. Escaped from the Leviathan. Found the final dragoon who joined my party. Opened and entered the Mysidian Tower.
Next Goals - Climb to the top of Mysidian Tower and obtain the Ultimate Magic Tome.

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment