Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day 27


Game - Final Fantasy 4, Day 27
Hours Played/Hours Total - 2 hrs / 5 hrs
Starting Point - On the opposite side of Mount Hobs.
Current Goal - Make it to the Kingdom of Fabul before the Baron forces do. Defend Fabul and keep Golbez from getting the Wind Crystal.

What Happened - So far, I'm getting a lot of plot done per post, but I'm not getting a lot of hours. With this in mind, I figure I'll aim to make this one a stupid long post with a lot of hours in it. I'm going to warn you RIGHT NOW....this is going to be a hell of a long post.
     I started up right on the edge of Mount Hobs, but this time I was on the other side. From here, I traveled quite a ways to get to Fabul. I encountered many a monster, but none of them really posed any threat Especially when you have a full party of 5! Hell, I could do it with two of them. Anyways, a small journey later, I was knocking at the doors of Fabul. In Fabul, everybody I talked to directed Yang (and company) to talk to the King. So...I talked to the king! He was glad to see Yang okay, and Yang immediately relayed to him the details of the oncoming invasion. The King was unsure of whether to believe us, but after a little convincing by....everybody, he finally believed us. He did so just in time too! Because Baron's forces were already upon Fabul! Cecil, Edward, and Yang took the front lines to defend the castle. They left Rosa and Rydia to help out everyone with their white magic (I'm assuming). Onward to victory!...
     That's what I would have claimed, but it turns out the entirety of the battle was a pointless effort. Yeah, breaking the news fast and hard. The battle started in front of the castle with a small group of soldiers. They went down pretty easy, but more came to replace them so the group retreated. In the middle room, the group encountered two more groups of enemies (monsters this time), and they retreated back when reinforcements came. This happened two more times in both the room before the throne room AND in the throne room. Finally, we were kicked back into the crystal room itself (Good job guys!). In the crystal room, we met up with Rydia and Rosa (who were safe), but we also met up with another friend...Kain! However, something was very wrong with Kain, and he attacked Cecil. Cecil went down fast and easy since Kain seemed ridiculously powerful for some reason. With Cecil defeated, Kain proceeded to try and take the Wind Crystal. Rosa tried to stop him, but she was interrupted by...Golbez!
     Finally, I met the villain face to face. He instructed for Kain to stop disobeying and take the Crystal. He seemed to be controlling Kain's mind. Kain was going to grab the crystal, and both Yang and Edward tried to interfere. Golbez stopped them both quite easily though. After that, he realized that Rosa was connected to Kain's breaking in and out of mind control, so he grabbed her. After Kain got the crystal, he and Golbez left us there. With the crystal gone, our plan had turned to a complete failure. Rydia revived everybody with her magic, and the group rested for the night. The next day, they discussed the need of an airship to fight Golbez and rescue Rosa. Of course, it turns out that the only nation with airships is Baron. It was decided among the group that their next goal was to sneak into Baron. Cecil suggested a boat since that was their weak point. One would think that a nation of airships would be smart enough to have regular ships just in case, or at least be able to convert said airships to regular water ships. They did it in Final Fantasy 3! Why can't you do it 4? Eh? EH?...Back to the matter at hand, the group consults the King with their idea, and he gives the group a ship.
     After healing at the inn and restocking on items, I made my way to the port and began to sail for Baron. The open sea was calm and fine...Of course, something had to go wrong. As we were traveling along, all of a sudden Leviathan attacks! Rydia is knocked off the ship, and Yang chases after her. Everything is going bad, and then the ship is sucked into the whirlpool. The screen fades to black...and then comes back slowly. My view is Cecil alone on a beach. Cue the sad music...and it actually did play sad music. There was a town close nearby, so I made my way there. Unfortunately for me (and very much so for Cecil), the town was Mysidia. If you have forgotten and don't feel like scrolling down, it was the town from the very beginning of the game that Cecil and the Red Barons attacked. Everybody I talked to either had little to say or were appalled that I had came back. After talking to everybody outside, I proceeded inside the biggest building (all I had to go on) and talked to those inside. The mage inside question why I was there, and Cecil simply answered that he needed to get to Baron. The mage informed him that he wouldn't be able to defeat Golbez as a Dark Knight. He did suggest that Cecil look into changing his ways by climbing Mount Ordeals. If he successfully climbed it, he would be able to change his ways and become a paladin. Cecil didn't really feel he had the time to do this, but he realized he had no other choice. Upon agreeing to do this, the mage gave Cecil some help in the form of a pair of twin mages, Porom and Palom. They are twin children mages where Porom is a white mage and Palom is a black mage. With my new team assembled and a quick shopping trip, I was ready to face Mount Ordeals.
     First and foremost, Mount Ordeals is a terrible and simple name. Couldn't they have at least called it Mount of Ordeals, Holy Mountain, or something along that line? Just doesn't sound good...anyways. I traveled a decent distance from Mysidia to locate Mount Ordeals. I began my climb upward and onward, making great use of the twin mages. Most of the enemies weren't too much of a challenge. Dark Knight Cecil was able to handle most, while Palom's great spell selection easily handled the rest. Also nice having Porom as a white mage. Anyways, part way up the mountain, the group ran into Tellah. Woo! Tellah the Sage is back in the hoooouse (and party)! He was searching for the spell Meteor so that he could destroy Golbez. He felt a strange presence about the mountain and had come to investigate. We continued up the mountain until we encountered a strange being. It was foreshadowed in-game that we would be meeting him, but I didn't mention that part because I forgot the specific time it occurred...also kind of ruins any surprise the game could have. At the same time, it was kind of cool that this game did have decent plot bits like this where it showed what was happening elsewhere! Moving along. The strange being was some sort of crazy undead monster, but it was also BOSS BATTLE TIME!
     This boss battle consisted of TWO boss battles! The first round was the creature (known as Scarmiglionel) robed up while leading a group of red zombies. Some Fire spells and time later, they were defeated and so it seemed he was. However, he tricked all of us and sprang up from behind for BOSS BACK ATTACK! (I promise to not do that one again...soon.) He had taken on his true, undead form! The first battle wasn't too much of a challenge, and neither was the second battle. He did have an annoying attack that caused everybody's ATB meter to run silly slow (Slow Status), but apart from that, he couldn't do a whole lot. Palom's Fira spell plus two mages with Cure spells made this battle go fairly easily. Many slow rounds later, I had defeated the evil boss Scarmiglionel. Woo! Time to get me a Paladin!
     After the boss was defeated, I proceeded a small ways forward and into a strange stone that called out to the group. It called Cecil son (which he questioned), but then teleported him and the group to a strange place. Inside, Cecil was blessed into a paladin, but before he could fully gain it, he was forced to fight his old Dark Knight self. Boss Battle Time? It would have been if I knew how to do it. I'm pretty sure I made this mistake the last time I played Final Fantasy 4. You get into a battle as Paladin Cecil fighting Dark Knight Cecil. The point of this battle is to NOT fight, but if you do fight, you will slowly and eventually lose. You are supposed to just sit there and wait out the battle until you win. I made the mistake of fighting and losing, and I also didn't save beforehand! I got to re-fight Scarmiglionel's two forms just so I could make it back and not fight Dark Knight Cecil. I even looked up a guide to make sure I didn't screw it up this time. With the success of Cecil's light side over his dark side, he was blessed into a full paladin. Along with this blessing, he was reset to Level 1. Thankfully, Level 1 of Paladin Cecil is almost as powerful as whatever level of Dark Knight he was before the change. He also was able to level up crazy fast from the nearby enemies. Before I left the mountain, he was level 10 again. After leaving the mountain, it was time to head back to Mysidia.
     The trip back to Mysidia was quick and easy. I found a nearby Chocobo Forest and made it there fast and battle free on a chocobo! Once back, I purchased some new armor for Paladin Cecil. He was back to his former glory (of defense)! I then went and spoke with the Elder. He was surprised at not only my success but by the presence of the Mythgraven Blade I had and Sage Tellah's knowledge of Meteor. It seems that the sword (given to me by the mystery light being at Mount Ordeal's summit) was actually an ancient sword from a prophesy. The game then went to a fancy screenshot which slowly revealed the prophesy. It mentioned something of dragons and light plus the moon. I didn't write it down, and I completely forgot it. However, it seems that Cecil (surprise!) might be the chosen one to save the world. I realize the surprise was unnecessary because it would be kinda lame/funny if your group of heroes weren't destined to save the world. Can you imagine that? An RPG where you go through the entire game, but someone else does all the world saving while you just have a crazy adventure. I already like it! Back to the game! Another shocker to come is that Porom and Palom were only sent with me to spy on what I was doing. Gasp! How could Mysidia distrust the guy who caused their partial downfall? /end sarcasm.
     Anyways, Cecil and Tellah were both already determined to stop Galbez, and they needed to get an airship before anything else. The Elder opened up The Devil's Road to the group so they could make it to Baron. It was originally blocked off because of the entire Mysidia incident I've mentioned a couple of times now. With the path open to travel, it was time for me to head back to Baron. This time...it was personal! I also feel that it's time for me to wrap up this post and post it. I've had it borderline ready to go for like 3-4 days now, but I didn't want to post it with either too much material OR not enough material. Regardless of this, I saved nearby Mysidia and closed up shop for now.
   

Ending Point - Mysidia.
Current Party -
  • Cecil - Level 10
  • Porom - Level 17
  • Palom - Level 17
  • Tellah - Level 22

Goals Accomplished - Made it to Fabul. Successfully failed to defend Fabul (as per story elements). Got a ship to Baron, but then lost that ship to Leviathan. Made it to Mysidia and gained the mages Porom and Palom. Climbed Mount Ordeals. Met up with Tellah again. Defeated the evil being Scarmiglionel. Changed Cecil's ways and transformed him into a Paladin. Somehow got Tellah to remember all his spells including Meteor! Climbed back down off Mount Ordeals. Learned about the legend possibly surrounding Cecil and the sword he received.
Next Goals - Travel the Devil's Road to Baron. Obtain an airship to stop Golbez. Save the world.

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment