Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day 29


Game - Final Fantasy 4, Day 29
Hours Played/Hours Total - 2-1/2 hrs / 10-1/2 hrs
Starting Point - Nearby the Kingdom of Troia.
Current Goal - Return the Earth Crystal to Troia. Trade the Earth Crystal for Rosa. Defeat Golbez. Save the World.

What Happened - Really great game. It's challenging and interesting. I feel like it isn't going as fast as I'd like (mostly due to my goal of finishing before the year). Either way, I can't wait to have another check mark on the list of done! On to the WHAT HAPPENED!
     I picked up the game nearby Troia Castle. I went inside and "handed" over the Earth Crystal to its leaders. However, it seemed that Kain was ahead of the game. He knew not only that I was back, but that I also had the Earth Crystal in hand. He said to meet him outside. After checking on Edward (who was fine), I went outside and got in the Enterprise. Kain flies up and has us follow him to the Tower of Zot. There, we are told by Golbez that he will trade us Rosa for the Crystal...if we can make it up to him. It's always funny in a game where it's all "you best hurry fast!" but then you don't actually get a time limit...Anyways, I began my ascent of the Tower of Zot. The enemies here were fairly tough. It didn't help that I didn't restock on anything. As I got higher and higher in the floor numbers, it got really bad. I had to start using up items I wasn't keen on wasting yet, namely an Elixer. By the time I got to a Save Room, I already wasted several items I wasn't wanting to use. I healed up and moved forward...right into a BOSS BATTLE! It seems that the next elemental fiend sent a welcoming party composed of the Magus Sisters. They were an odd bunch, but they weren't much of a challenge for a boss battle. I just kept attacking until they were dead, and apparently I was doing enough damage to take them out before they did anything serious. After their defeat, I ran back, healed, saved, and then returned to continue onward.
     It turned out that the next area was the final area of the Tower of Zot. I met Golbez face to face and handed over the Earth Crystal. It turned out that Golbez was lying the entire time though. He didn't give back Rosa upon receiving the Earth Crystal. Tellah ran towards him in rage and STORY BOSS BATTLE! Tellah cast everything he had at Golbez with no real response. Finally, in a moment of rage, he cast the all powerful Meteor and finally took down Golbez...or so it seemed. The only thing Meteor accomplished was Golbez being severely weakened. He lost his control over Kain. As he was trying to leave, Cecil tried to go after him, and Golbez attacked him. As Cecil lay at Golbez's feet, he suddenly stopped, turned away, and left. He claimed he would finish him next time. Anyways, the group goes up to Tellah, but it is too late. Tellah used his life to power Meteor. Tellah asks that they avenge Anna for him, and Cecil promises to avenge them both. Sad time...Before moving on, I checked on the now free Kain. He leads the group to where Rosa is (the only door in the room...so hard to find). Cecil rescues Rosa, and a heartfelt moment is had between the two. The group goes to leave, but Kain feels wrong about everything he's done. They assure him that it wasn't his fault, but that they need him for what is to come. Kain finally agrees and the group goes to leave...
     Or so you'd think! Before I could make it out the door, I was assaulted by the wind fiend, Barbariccia. She was the one who sent the Magus Sisters after me, and now she sends herself to try and beat me! BOSS BATTLE TIME! Barbariccia (so tired of typing that) is a tricky little lady...or she should have been. Right before the battle, I gained two new party members (Rosa and Kain). With the addition of a White Mage and a Dragoon, this battle was no problem. Heck, the battle actually REQUIRES the use of Kain and his Jump ability. At certain points, she surrounds herself with her hair, and this makes her incredibly resistant to all attacks (except jump ones as it mentions). Surprise! Basically, you can just spend this battle lobbing all of your attacks at her while healing with Rosa. I sure do miss Tellah..and his Black Magic. After only a few rounds, Barbariccia goes down for the count. After the battle, she claims there is one fiend left out there and how we don't stand a chance against him. As the group goes to leave, she decides to bring the place down on us (with her wind and death energy I guess?). As the group starts to panic, Rosa makes use of her Teleport spell and takes the group back to Baron...to Cecil's room exactly.
     Once there, the group starts talking about the current position. It seems bad at first because they realize Golbez has all four elemental crystals. (Oh noes!) Kain informs the group that Golbez actually only has half of them...It turns out that there is a Underground world with 4 similar but dark crystals! The world above is the Light World, and the world below is the Dark World. Sound familiar? Basically, the group needs to find a way to get to the Underworld realm and stop Golbez there. Golbez told Kain something about using the crystals to make a path to the moon...Talk about some cocky foreshadowing! Kain hands over a strange item called the Magma Stone. He says it is a key to something, but I just don't know what. Anyways, dialogue ends and the group gets ready to continue onward to the next goal.
     With the Magma Stone in hand, I was fairly clueless what to do. However, limited choices told me I had only like one of two options to pick from. I looked towards Mythril and found nothing there I could do, so I head towards the small dwarf descendant village of Agart. Once there, I went to their magical well bottomless well and threw the Magma Stone in. I didn't look up a guide for this...but I figured that it was really the only thing I could do currently. After tossing the stone in, the nearby mountain erupted/exploded and revealed an entrance to the underworld. Aaaah yeah! Time to keep moving along. I jumped on the airship and flew down into the underworld. Once there, the ship went to auto-story-pilot and flew us right into the middle of a giant battle. The battle was between tanks and airships (the airships were identified as the Red Wings). Cid tries to fly the ship out of the battle but takes a hit in the process. The ship goes down and crash lands nearby a castle. With that being the only nearby location, I entered the castle.
     It turns out that the Castle was a dwarven castle of...dwarves. They just let me right in like I owned the place. I find that strange what with surface dwellers attacking them and all. Anyways, I looked around, found the shops, purchased some items, and then proceeded to talk with the king dwarf, King Giott. He was talking about their current effort at pushing back the airships that Golbez was sending. He wasn't sure about trusting the group, but he felt like they were different from Golbez. Unfortunately for me, Golbez had already obtained two of the Dark Crystals. King Giott assured us that the current crystal was hidden (behind the throne) and very safe. Cid offered his ship's assistance to the King who gladly accepted. However, Cid needed to repair the ship and add new armor to the ship for protection from all the magma nearby (we are underground after all). He needed to return to the surface to do this, so he leaves the group for now. The group is about to talk with the king more, but Yang feels a strange presence coming from behind the throne (where the Dwarf King hid their crystal). The group goes to investigate and finds a bunch of creepy marionette dolls. They attack the group for BOSS BATTLE TIME! It's just a group of three male dolls and three female dolls. I quickly dispatched three of them, but the rest merged to form Calcabrina. Despite its fearsome appearance, I quickly and easily dispatched of the giant, evil marionette doll monster.
     However, as the marionette dolls ran away, they mentioned Golbez's new knowledge of the crystal room there. He then appeared out of nowhere to take the crystal and inform us of his master plan. It turns out that he wants to use all 8 Crystals to to reactivate the Tower of Babil. The Tower of Babil leads to the moon, and legends say that the moon contains power beyond comprehension. With that crystal stolen, he only needs one more crystal to succeed. He then attacked me for BOSS BATTLE TIME! However, this was a set battle for me to fail and lose. None of my attacks hit, and he finally did stunned everybody in my party. After stunning everyone, he summoned a Shadow Dragon. The Shadow Dragon quickly killed every party member in one hit, leaving only Cecil. As he was about to kill Cecil, suddenly a mist came in ,and the Mist Dragon appeared! It attacked Golbez and killed his Shadow Dragon. With those gone, a mysterious yet familiar figure joined my ranks to help defeat Golbez. It was Rydia! She looked like a much older and mature Rydia, but for the most part, she brought a much needed advantage to our side! She came with a good set of summons (6!) and better black magic! I set about reviving my teammates while trying out the new summons on Golbez. He didn't make it easy on reviving people though...he kept taking down party members as I brought them up. Anyways, after a few summons, he went down for the count. After the battle ended, it appeared as if Golbez was finally defeated. Of course we all realize...that was too easy. Golbez says something about being undefeatable and melts into nothing but his arm. The arm then crawls over to the Crystal and teleports away with it. That's just lame and cheap. Rydia gives the group an update on her story. It turns out that Leviathan whisked her away to the Fey realm. They spell it differently, but I prefer my method. Time worked differently there, so she actually aged quite a bit before returning. With her back, she returned to the party to help fight with her now fully awakened Summoning abilities.
     The group proceeds back outside to inform King Giott that their crystal had been stolen. This is a bad deal because Golbez only needs ONE more crystal to enact his evil plan to do something with the moon. He informed us of the last crystal being located in a Sealed Cave to the southwest, and that Golbez was already heading that way. However, he let us know that there was no way of getting inside the cave without the key. He then proceeded to make a request of us...Turns out that the request isn't to get the key! He wants us to assault the Tower of Babil and retrieve the stolen seven crystals while their dwarven tanks distract Golbez's forces. He plans to execute his plan immediately so that it can be accomplished before Golbez returns from the Sealed Cave. The group thinks the plan might be risky, but they agree to do it in that this might be the only chance they get to attempt it.


Ending Point - Nearby the Tower of Babil in the Underworld.
Current Party - Woo! Party of Five!
  • Cecil - Level 28
  • Rosa - Level 29
  • Yang - Level 28
  • Rydia - Level 30
  • Kain - Level 28
Goals Accomplished - Climbed the Tower of Zot. Defeated the Magus Sisters. Traded the Earth Crystal to Golbez for a lie! Tellah sacrificed himself to delay Golbez (Sad time...). Rescued Rosa and Kain from Golbez. Defeated the Wind Fiend, Barbariccia. Escaped the Tower of Zot. Found the way to the Underworld nearby Agart. Defeated Calcabrina, strange marionette monster. Defeated Golbez...for now.
Next Goals - Climb the Tower of Babil and retrieve the stolen seven crystals. Defeat Golbez. Save the World.

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment