Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Day 31


Game - Final Fantasy 4, Day 31
Hours Played/Hours Total - 3 hrs / 19 hrs
Starting Point - Underworld, right outside of the Sealed Cave.
Current Goal - Find a way to stop Golbez from using the moon somehow. Save the World.

What Happened - So...the last session left me with losing all the crystals and screwing over the world. I do believe the game has a fairly happy ending, so let's see how that goes! Also...
LOTS AND LOTS OF SPOILERS ARE COMING! STORY BREAKING SPOILERS!
     Since I was right outside of the cave, I figured...back to Dwarven Castle! I flew over, went inside, and reported to King Giott about the failure. It seemed as if the world was doomed, but the king mentioned something about a Lunar Whale and "Born of a dragon..." Cecil recognized this as being part of the Mysidian Legend and informed the king that Mysidia was quite real. After some talking back and forth, the king claimed we needed to get back to the surface. Of course, this is a problem since both our ways out are unavailable. (The big hole is sealed ,AND the Tower of Babil is unreachable.) Then a voice chimed in about digging to the surface instead. Who else but Cid? He comes into the Throne Room and says he can attach a drill to the front of the Falcon. Personally, I think it's a bit crazy to attach a drill to the front of an airship to drill a hole to the surface...but this is fantasy baby! Cid begins working on the airship again. A short dancing cutscene later, Cid collapses. Thankfully, he simply exhausted himself and was more or less okay. With the drill on ship, I jumped on the Falcon and made for the sealed entrance. One neat-ish CG scene later, I'm back on the surface and ready to move on.
     From there, I just needed to make my way to Mysidia. King Giott believed that the Mysidian Elder (who we said was last praying) was possibly trying to summon the Lunar Whale. Considering the size of the world map, it took me a bit to find Mysidia. After a long random flyabout, I came upon Mysidia, set down, and entered inside. Turns out that the elder was waiting for us, and he took us up to the tower so that they could finish praying. I was shortly shown a cool cutscene of a large space ship flying out from under the water. This kind of surprised me because I thought the ship might actually look like a whale, but this looked like a huge space ship. The elder stated that someone/something spoke to him and told him that we needed to head to the moon. Of course, the group questioned how they would possibly get to the moon. He informs us that the Lunar Whale (the huge space ship) came from the moon and could take us to it. So...time for me to go to the freakin' moon!
     I jumped on the Lunar Whale outside of town (it takes up like 2-3 spaces on the world map...) and took off. It immediately takes me up to the moon. I'm glad I saved beforehand, because quite a bit happened on my first attempt at the moon. I flew around until I spotted a cave. This cave turned out to be a dungeon that I was completely unprepared for. The enemies were incredibly tough, and many of them had the high tier of spells OR super powered abilities. I met a robot, a witch, a bone dragon, and finally a behemoth. I managed to get quite a ways into the dungeon before happening upon a boss battle (the behemoth) that killed me. Let's try this again. On my second attempt to the moon, I looked around until I found another cave. This one wasn't a dungeon, but it was instead the home of the weird rabbit creature (Namingway) and his clan of Moon rabbit people. I hadn't mentioned it before previously (because I didn't think it mattered) that the game contained a character known as Namingway. He's a strange, rabbit creature that allowed you to rename your characters. I thought it was simply an inserted character to allow renaming, but it seems he has a whole clan of Namingways called Hummingways located in Hummingway Abode on the moon...Crazy stuff here. The cave was mostly a pointless stop, but one of the Hummingways did have items for sale. I bought what I could, talked to them (got nothing from that), and finally left the Hummingway Abode AKA Pointless Cave.
     I got back on the Lunar Whale and started flying around the moon more. While getting in and out of the Lunar Whale, you are allowed to actually explore the inside. Inside the Lunar Whale was much like the The Invincible in FF3. It contained healing pods (futuristic beds) and a Fat Chocobo for easy item storage. There was also a control panel and a crystal. The control panel allowed flying of the Lunar Whale while the crystal was used for going back and forth between the moon and the planet. It was definitely a good thing I decided to explore inside because I was afraid that I was going to be stuck on the moon. Anyways, after some more moon exploration, I located a series of caves surrounding a large crystal formation. It was impossible to get to the base, so I landed where I could and aimed for the nearest accessible cave. This lead me on a path around the crystal formation through multiple caves. Eventually, I ended up right where I wanted to be. I entered the base of the crystal formation and came face to face with...plot stuff!
     Upon entering, I found myself in a nicely built structure that called itself the Crystal *. I walked forward and met an old man who called himself Fusoya. The group asked who he was, and he revealed his name as well as his duty, which is to protect the slumber of the Lunarians. This just brought up more questions... namely "Lunarians?!" Time for story stuff! Basically, there was a planet that was facing destruction and the species of that planet escaped to the Blue Planet (figure that's us) using a ship. However, they were still evolving so they created a moon where they'd sleep it off, for a loooong ass time. The sleeping people he talked about are the Lunarians. It seems that one of the Lunarians was rebellious and decided to not sleep though. Instead, he wanted to destroy everything on the Blue Planet and create a new home there. Lucky for us Blue Planet folk, Fusoya was able to seal that guy and force him to sleep. Of course, that wasn't enough to stop this evil doer. He channeled his evil to the planet to corrupt people there and forced them to gather the Crystals. Dun dun duuuuuuuun! Basically, Golbez isn't in control of his own actions. It seems the one in control is actually the sleeping evil doer known as Zemus.He plans to use the crystals to power something located inside the Giant of Babil. With that in hand, he'll be able to destroy everything on the planet. Minus Zemus, the Lunarians think they can come to an understanding with us. They're only sleeping because the Blue Planet species weren't evolved enough. The group asks about the Lunar Whale as well. Turns out it was built by Fusoya's brother, Kluya, many years ago. His brother traveled to the Blue Planet long ago because he was enamored with the planet. Turns out that he also showed the people how to create airships and even built the Devil's Road. And (SPOILER ALERT) he fell in love with someone there and had children. Turns out Cecil is one of these children! DUN DUN DUUUUUN! The Voice on the Mount of Ordeals was the soul of his father, and now everything falls together.
     Kluya did what he did on the Mount of Ordeals to give Cecil the power to fight Zemus. Fusoya instructed us to return to the Tower of Babil in Eblan. Edge points out that the Tower of Babil had a barrier around it, but Fusoya figures he could get around it. Fusoya then joined the group to help us stop the Giant of Babil from reaching the planet. LUNARIAN ACQUIRED! With Fusoya on hand, it was time to go back to the Blue Planet and get into the Tower of Babil. However, upon returning to the planet, it seemed that we were too late. The Giant of Babil had been summoned and began destroying everything! Thankfully (and stupid fastly) everybody gathered their forces and were attacking the giant. Everybody being pretty much everybody...Cid, Edward, Yang (somehow alive), Porom and Palom (cured by the Mysidian Elder), and even the dwarven king Giott were all there with airships and tanks to help fight the Giant. Fusoya told us that we had to enter the Giant and destroy it from the inside. So with a little help from Cid, the group entered the Giant of Babil. They flew into the mouth, and I slowly climbed down through the Giant to make it to his core. Along the way, I fought some impressively hard and annoying enemies. It seemed the game was determined that I was either 1. under leveled OR 2. going to be challenged. After many enemies, lots of healing, and reviving, I finally found a save spot. I healed up, saved, and moved forward to the core.
     Unfortunately for me, partway to the core, I encountered a familiar set of faces. It was the Elemental Archfiends! They said that Zemus used his power to give them all a second life, and they had all planned to use their new life to take down the group. It did not look good. Time for SUPER ULTIMATE BOSS BATTLE TIME! Basically, I got to fight all four elemental archfiends one after another. They were more powerful than their first time (of course), and they were ready to take us down. The first three (Scarmiglione, Rubicante, and Cagnazzo in that order) went down with relative ease. They each had a definite weakness to one of the three main offense spells. However, once I got to Barbariccia...things got quite a bit harder. She didn't have a definite weakness to any of the three elements. On top of that, she had an attack called Maelstrom that reduced everybody's health to around 4 HP each. This was not fun, and I had to constantly either heal people up OR revive the ones that fell sometime after. It was a constant drain on my resources. Despite her rediculous attack, I was finally able to put her down. And yet again...I defeated all 4 elemental archfiends. With them defeated, it was time to charge the core!
     BOSS BATTLE TIME! This time, I was face to face with the CPU of the Giant. Unfortunately, the CPU was not alone. The CPU had two nodes working with it: an attack node and a defense node. The attack mode was set to just laser the group every time its turn came up. The defense node simply healed the CPU constantly. My first several rounds against the CPU didn't go well. If you kill all the nodes, you are left with just the CPU, but then it starts using a lame move (Object 199 or something like that) which automatically kills a random party member. So then I have to waste time reviving them as it casts it at least one more time. After that, it revives both nodes and the process begins again. Unfortunately, I didn't think about the proper way to go about this until I killed the nodes one more time. After that, you simply need to kill one node while leaving the other alive. While only one node is alive, the CPU does nothing but cast Reflect on itself. You obviously can't leave the Defense Node since it heals 3000 HP a turn to the CPU, so I had to destroy the defense node and constantly heal while the Attack Node did it's laser spray. It took some time (and lotsa healing) but I managed to beat the CPU. With the CPU destroyed, the Giant should soon come down.
     Before the Giant goes down, more plot happens! Golbez comes in and is angry because we have destroyed the giant. Fusoya rushes at Golbez and says something about breaking him from the mind control. After a flash of light, Golbez seems to come to his senses. Fusoya asks Golbez who his father was...Golbez says the name Kluya! DUN DUN DUUUUUN! That's right! After all this time, it turns out that Golbez is Cecil's brother! Both of them are part Lunarian as well! Golbez finally is able to realize everything that he has done, and he takes this opportunity to take the fight to Zemus. Fusoya joins Golbez and the two go off to fight Zemus. Just as they get away, the Giant of Babil finally starts to crumble apart. The group seems to be stuck until Kain comes back in and points the way out. They're a bit skeptical, but it's really the only available choice at this point. So the group escapes the giant as I'm treated to a lovely CG scene of the Giant of Babil crumbling apart. The group returns to the Lunar Whale and start talking about their next step. Everybody is in agreement to go join Golbez and Fusoya in fighting Zemus on the moon.
     They all head to the moon, and now the game is turned over to me. I have the choice of exploring for side quests or finishing up the game. I figure it is finally time to get down and do some side quests. That and Rydia only has the starting summons that she came with. Time to find more of those! Also, now with all the past characters back in action, I'm able to fully customize my party with whoever I want! This also means getting new and better things with them. I'll probably stick with my current lineup, but I'll at least give some of the old characters a try. With everything gotten done here and not ready to start the final dungeon, I figured it was time to stop and save for the night. It seems as if the next post will hopefully be the last post for Final Fantasy 4....Look forward to it!

Ending Point - Underworld nearby Sylph Cave.
Current Party -
  • Cecil - Level 44
  • Rosa - Level 44
  • Edge - Level 40
  • Rydia - Level 42
  • Kain - Level 44
Goals Accomplished - Attach a drill to the Falcon so we can reach the surface. Obtain the Lunar Whale. Flew to the moon and explored it. Found the Lunarian Fusoya and had everything explained to me. Gained Fusoya as a party member! Defeated the revived elemental archfiends. Stopped the Giant of Babil.
Next Goals - Prepare for the final dungeon. Beat the game. Save the world!

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment