Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 41


Game - Final Fantasy 6, Day 41
Hours Played/Hours Total - 6 hrs / 15 hrs
Starting Point - Outside the town of Jidoor.
Current Goal - Travel to Zozo in search of Terra. Stop the Empire. Save the world!

What Happened - Another Day...another post. Such is the life of my blog! Let's get on with it.
     I began to make my way North to Zozo. And once there, I was treated to a very...nice town. It was quite the opposite. It was a very crappy town of degenerate-ness. Heck, despite being in a town, there was still random encounters. Looking about the town revealed that there wasn't a whole lot there. Outside of treasure chests, all of the shops and the inn were either empty or had nothing for sale. I did locate one awesome piece of equipment...the Chainsaw! Another one of Edgar's Awesome Tools!(I used a guide to help me get it...I hate missing stuff!) After that, I looked around town some more and began climbing one of the towers. The only way to fully climb the tower was to jump from building to building. After reaching the top, I talked with a guy who claimed he didn't want to fight....but then it was BOSS BATTLE TIME!
     Dadaluma (the boss and some sort of karate man) wasn't too much trouble. I'm unsure of his attacks or abilities because the battle went fairly fast. I just kept after him with Edgar's Chainsaw and Sabin's Blitz attacks. After a couple rounds, he summoned up some allies, but it seemed like it was for nothing. I got in another Chainsaw attack and he went down...as well as his allies. Aaaaah yeaaah! With his defeat, I could finally enter the top of the tower. Up there was Terra unconscious in a bed (still in her glowing form). As I went to examine her, a mysterious old man appeared. Turns out he was the Esper Ramuh! He said that Terra was going to be okay once she accepted her form. The group asked if she was an Esper, but he simply replied she is something very different. He began to explain things for me. It was mostly a large look into Espers in general.
     Basically, humans and Espers used to live together in harmony, but humans ruined it (as always) by trying to steal magic from the Espers (War of the Magi). The Espers created their own world and left this one, but the humans located them and began stealing the Espers to extract their magic. The Espers created a door to seal their realm, but it was almost too late. Many Espers had been caught and were having their magic drained by the Empire. Ramuh and some his comrades had managed to escape, but many Espers were still in the Empire's Magitek Factory. He asked that we go and rescue them. Another thing he mentioned was that the Empire draining magic from the Espers wasn't the true way to gain their magical abilities. He said the true way to obtain magic was through the use of Magicite. Magicite is the essence created from a dying Esper. As he said that, he presented the group with three pieces of Magicite, and then he turned himself into Magicite. He asked that we go and rescue his comrades and left us to it.
     Magicite can be thought of something akin to the Guardian Force system in Final Fantasy 8. If you haven't played Final Fantasy 8, it's fairly straightforward anyways. Basically, you equip the Magicite and gain spells, some abilities, and are able to summon the Magicite's Esper. Each Magicite comes with a specific grouping of spells with different multipliers. You gain Magic Points from battles and eventually learn the spells (fast or slow based on the multiplier). With enough time and patience, one could easily give everybody the full assortment of spells. SO....moving right along.
     The next goal was the Magitek Factory. There wasn't any direct way to get there, so Celes suggested we head back to Jidoor and find someone there to help. I was allowed to re-select my party and then left Zozo. From there, I just made my way back down south towards Jidoor. Not a long trip thankfully and now to find out what I have to do! Back in Jidoor, I took advantage of my newfound wealth and stocked up again as well as buying items I previously couldn't afford (more armor and weapons mostly). After that, I looked about town until I came to a random house. It was a house of a man named Owzer, but there also was one known as Impresario. He was the director for the Opera there, and he received a letter from a mischievous man (and our next character!) who plans to kidnap the lead singer Maria. The character is a world renowned gambler and the owner of the ONLY airship in the world. His name...Setzer. (I guess like the water?) Therefore...I needed to recruit him. Impresario thought Celes looked a LOT like the missing lead singer as well...HINT HINT. It seems I'll get to do an opera. I believe this is one of the more (if not most) memorable scene from Final Fantasy 6...The Opera!
     I made my way south from Jidoor towards the Opera House. Because of course...the show must go on! If it doesn't, I can't get an airship somehow. There's a whole lot of talking between the group and Impresario. It's obvious where it is all going. Basically, Celes is going to take over Maria's part so that Maria doesn't get kidnapped. Instead, Celes will be kidnapped and help the group go after Setzer. So, the Opera gets started, and eventually Celes comes in. I get to do her part by "remembering" her lines. I used a guide because I wanted it to go well. I'm not directly following the guide at this time. I'm just making sure I don't miss any super awesome items...STOP JUDGING ME! Anyways, the Opera goes all fine and dandy. However...there be trouble afoot! It seems that the squid man (named Ultros) from waaay back during the river rafting has survived somehow. He followed the group here and plans to make some trouble of it all. As the opera is going, he attempts to kill Celes with a giant weight. Unfortunately for him, the weight is too heavy and can't move it for FIVE MINUTES.
     With Locke and the other two (Edgar and Gau), I race all around to get to Ultros. With only moments to spare, I reached Ultros, but the group (including Ultros) falls down onto the stage. This interrupts the opera, and the director believes it is ruined. However, the crowd seems to be excited about it as Ultros and the group finally compete for...BOSS BATTLE TIME! Ultros was a fairly formidable foe. He had decent attack strength, a few annoying abilities, and what seemed like decent overall health. As usual, I just kept after him and healed as I could. I didn't have Celes, so I was out on my current best healer. My other characters were finally learning their spells though, so I had a little variety available. His most consistant abilities were an ability called Level 3 Muddle (only effected Gau) and Imp spell (only worked on 2 of the 3). I had plenty of healing and such so none of that went too badly. It was a massive talk-y battle for Ultros, he constantly said stuff the entire time. As I finally got him whittled down, he bid us adieu and ran off. So...I got nothing for beating him.
     As Ultros ran out, suddenly...Setzer dropped in! He grabbed Celes (disguised as Maria) and ran off. Celes helped the group get to Setzer's ship, and they asked Setzer to help them. He wasn't eager to immediately help and asked that Celes marry him in exchange for the use of his ship. Celes agreed to it, but she made it a gamble (which appealed to this large-time gambler). She tossed a coin with heads being he helps regardless and tails being she agrees to the deal. Celes cheated with a double-sided coin, but Setzer agreed to do it anyways. He found the double-sided coin trick very amusing. With his ship, Setzer flew us across the ocean and landed nearby the town of Albrook. He waited on board his airship, and I made my move from there.
     Albrook was a small town with the Empire's presence. I made my way around the town stocking up on a few things. Unfortunately, I was short on money more than anything. Therefore...time for a farming session! I spent around an hour and a half exploring and getting money. I found a nearby town of Miranda (where the Empire presence was also really high). It didn't really have anything new there compared to Albrook. After my farming up gold, experience, and magic points (experience for magic...if I didn't already talk about it), I figured it was time to move on. I made my way north to Vector. Vector is a sort of Empire ran town and home of the Magitek Factory. With a little help from a Returner's sympathizer, I was able to sneak into the factory. The factory was an interesting place. Plenty of items to find, and lots of branching pathways necessary to get to said items. Exploring the factory went fairly slow because of all the battles. Nothing was too tough, but it seemed I wasn't getting a lot of damage in on anybody. After making my way through, I finally happen upon something important!
     I came upon Kefka who was talking about draining Espers of their magic and something about bringing Statues back (foreshadowing much?) As he said this, he threw a few espers down a conveyor belt. He claimed that he had drained their energy and were useless. I chased after them to discover it was Ifrit and Shiva! (Somewhat) BOSS BATTLE TIME! Yeah, that's right. I had to fight Ifrit as a form of story boss battle. He wasn't able to do a lot, and I finished him off quickly. Shiva stepped in and realized that we had Ramuh's essence with us...and thus ended the battle. The two Esper's passed on, and I gained the Shiva and Ifrit summon. It also means I've got more magic to learn! Woo! I saved the game and moved right along. Continuing on into the factory lead to the Magitek Research Facility! And inside there, I finally came to a real BOSS BATTLE TIME!
     The boss was some strange man-looking monster called Number 24. Currently looking over a guide to ensure I get the best items, and it seemed that this boss would be a challenge. Then...it was not. I just kept after it with Edgar's Chainsaw while casting Cure on the party ever so often. He went down with little trouble on my part. Once defeated, I moved further inside the facility and found...more trapped Espers! I freed them and next up was a lot of talking and story. First off, a scientist runs in and starts asking what we are doing. And guess who it is? Cid! Thus he makes his appearance in the game. As the Espers are freed, they are all very weak so they end up giving their powers to me through Magicite. Seeing this, Cid realizes that they've been doing it all wrong. However, we don't get long ,and Kefka comes in. He asks Celes to hand over the Magicite and confuses the group into thinking that Celes is going to turn on them! Locke questions it, but Celes ends up saving the day. Kefka sends in Magitek Armor to attack the group, but Celes rescues everybody by warping the armor, Kefka, and herself away. Then...the facility starts to come down. Cid runs off to an elevator and tells the group to follow him. During the ride down, he starts realizing what he's done. He explains that he raised Celes like his own daughter, and he unfortunately let them make her a magitek knight and turn her into what she is now. Kefka seemed to have made it back, so Cid pushed us onto a mine cart and helped us escape.
     The mine cart bit was just like before with the underwater and rafting parts. I was flung forward while dealing with random encounters. There wasn't anything too hard along the way, but then I was thrown into BOSS BATTLE TIME! For this time, I was fighting a monster named Number 128. Apparently they find it clever and interesting to make these fake scientifically made monster names such as "Number 24 and Number 128." Regardless, this boss wasn't one to scoff at. He had "limbs" which allowed him multiple attacks. The limbs didn't have anything special, but they were able to deal out decent damage (around 100ish on people with only around 600 HP each). I focused on the limbs briefly and managed to destroy them, but they regenerated a few rounds later. That made the tactic fairly un-effective, so I instead remained focus on the body. I managed to beat him without losing anybody (keep in mind I was down to 3 people with Celes gone). The mine cart flew outside, and the group abandoned it. Running onward I ran into Setzer who took us on the airship and began to fly away. However, Kefka wasn't about to let us get away that easily. He SOMEHOW attacked the group while they were in the airship...with a crane.
     BOSS BATTLE TIME! I label many of these as boss battles, but a lot of them really don't feel like them, considering difficulty. I was forced into a pincer battle with a crane on each side of the party. Pardon if I neglected to mention it before, but FF6 offers multiple types of battle situations rather than the normal,  initiative, and ambush. They also have a pincer maneuver where either your party surrounds an enemy with two people on each side of them OR your party is surrounded by enemies on both sides. The latter is what happened during. Anyways, the fourth member of the party, where Celes was, was replaced with Setzer, so I finally got a look at his ability. He has the "Slots" command that allows him to take a chance on a slot for a generally interesting attack! In general though (from quite a bit of use from it), you don't fail very often. Out of the multiple uses during battle, none of them failed, but I did get some interesting results. Triple bars did a random summon! Triple jewels did a special attack. Triple chocobos caused chocobos to run through and strike people. With the slots command and Edgar's tools, I was able to shoot through the enemy and move on.
     Setzer set sail for Zozo where the party was going to regroup and figure out their next move. In Zozo, we met back up with Terra...who had an interesting reaction to one of the Magicite. The Magicite helped her to remember her origin and cue backstory! To summarize it all, Terra's mom wondered into the Esper's world on accident and met her father (Maduin). The two had a child together and were happy, but then Emperor Gestahl and his troops found the Esper world and were invading it. The Esper's sealed off the gate to their world, but in the process, Maduin and Terra's mom ended up on the other side, and Gestahl took Terra away from them. And thus...she grew up on this side. She was part human and part Esper! With the new realization of this, she rejoined the group. The Magicite that reacted to her was her father's essences (Maduin). The next goal for the group...head back to Narshe. I have an airship now though! I can go ANYWHERE!...more or less.
     With the airship in hand, I'm able to carry around the entire crew of...7 people now I think? (Shadow isn't with us yet, and we have lost Celes for the moment). The exploration really only took me to the Veldt. I went there to acquire more Rages for Gau. I'd also hopefully gain a little money and experience as well. I spent some time doing this before I decided to quit and head on. I got many new rages, and yet I won't use half of them! I flew around the world a bit as well. I didn't find a whole lot of new stuff, but I managed to find another Magicite (cost me 3000 gil...a steal!). Feeling like time to move on, I made my way to Narshe.
     Upon entering, I was immediately sent to talk with Banon and the Narshe Elder. It seems that Narshe was finally ready to side with the Returners and fight the Empire. They started discussing their battle plan. It seems they wish to use Narshe's money with Figaro's technology to attack the Imperial Capital. The only problem is the lack of troops. Banon figures they only have one way to do it...with the help of the Espers. Basically, he figures that if the Esper's launch an attack from their direction (the East) while the Returners come from the North...Success is guaranteed! They also figure it's their only possible chance of winning. The biggest factor in all of this...Terra. They think Terra (being a bit of both) would be able to help the two groups unite for the cause. That means my next goal is to locate the gate and enter inside. It seems the Empire has the gate located for us, but they have a base in front of it. That means I'll have to break through another base to complete my goal. So...onward!
     Well...not yet! There is a side quest afoot! In Narshe, there is a house with a bunch of chests in it, but I looted them all earlier on. It seems there is another thief here now, and his name is Lone Wolf the Pickpocket! He is a recurring thief person that exists in many of the titles. Anyways, he exclaimed about being caught and ran off. I chased after him...all the way through the mines and up the mountain. I finally had him cornered, but he had a hostage...a poor Moogle! We were at a standoff until the Moogle shook him off. I then had to choose between saving the Moogle or taking the item from him. I chose the Moogle of course. Turns out it was a new party member! A Moogle...named Mog. He said that Ramuh had spoken to him, and now he was joining us. Woo! With Mog by my side, I was ready to find the Gate to the Esper World. I knew exactly where to go.
     I landed right outside the Imperial Base...and quit there for the night. This post is long enough as is, and I need to go ahead and wrap it up. Can't wait to see what happens...NEXT TIME! ON RECURRING FANTASY! ~Wooosh~

Ending Point - Nearby the Imperial Base.
Current Party -
  • Terra - Level 19
  • Setzer - Level 18
  • Cyan - Level 18
  • Sabin - Level 18
Goals Accomplished - Located Terra in Zozo. Gained magicite and therefore magic for everybody! Performed the Opera and met/tricked Setzer. Gained Setzer as a party member! Also his airship! Flew to the southern continent and snuck into the Magitek Factory. Infiltrated the Magitek Factory and gained mulitiple magicite/summons. Escaped the Magitek Research Facility. Reunited with Terra and returned to Narshe. Saved Mog the Moogle and gained him as a party member! Generic training and stuffs!
Next Goals - Sneak through the Imperial Base and make it to the Sealed Cave. Defeat the Empire. Save the World!

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment