Sunday, July 7, 2013

VGBA 1 - Gaia's Bane

This is my first VGBA (Video Game Band Album) review, so I figured I'd go with a Final Fantasy favorite of mine...

Gaia's Bane
Final Fantasy Metal at it's best


Band - Knight of the Round
Sites - Facebook. Bandcamp. (Can't seem to find a main site, so we'll stick with those two.)
Type of Album - Final Fantasy metal cover album. Contains various songs from various titles that have been metal-ified for your approval.
Genre - Metal, Thrash.
Favorite Song - TEAR IT UP

Review - Do you enjoy Final Fantasy music? Do you enjoy metal? Does the combination of the two stir up mixed feelings of joy and confusion? Then do I have an album for you! From the highly unknown Knight of the Round comes their debut album, Gaia's Bane.
     I have known about this group for a little under a year, and I honestly bought their album on a whim. But oh boy am I glad I bought it! From the very first song all the way to the final bit, you are being pumped full of great Final Fantasy music carefully and awesomely covered into metal. It's loud, awesome, and just blows you away with tasty music. The selection of covers is mostly focused on Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX, but there is also an FFVI song and even one from FFXIII! Again, it's a really good selection and all of them just feel right.
     And that's probably one of the best parts of this album. Every song is metal-ized in a way that just feels right. It's very well covered and reminds you of the game it came from, but at the same time, it's fresh enough to feel exciting and fun. I don't feel like this is just a plain old cover of the song. The band has come in and made the song their own while still paying homage to the original version.
     I'm not musically knowledge-ified, so there's not any real way for me to go into details here. For what it is, it flows and plays really well though. I've linked the album to a random friend, as well as a couple other FF-influenced albums and bands. He enjoyed this album over those, and he's not really the video game music kind of person like myself. If you aren't getting the point here, it's a very well done album. It's got the right sound to be enjoyable for a lot of people while giving you a dose of the Final Fantasy to make you say "Whaaaat?"
     If I had any complaints about the album, I'd say it's fairly short. Of course, it's video game music covers, and they're all instrumental. The length isn't a real complaint here because it's all quality music, and the second addition to that is pointless because you wouldn't be reading this if you didn't like "video game music" or "instrumentals" since that's what most of this is in a nutshell...
     Regardless of all that though, I'd still say it's totally worth your time, money, and a listen. Click the link above and give it a listen! If you're a fan of Final Fantasy music, metal, or both, you should have already gotten this album before I finished the post so...GET OVER THERE NOW AND BUY IT!

And now to summarize this album in a pros and cons section...
(That I don't really need because this is like 4 paragraphs long.)

Pros - Final Fantasy covers, Metal-liciousness, Easy listening, A great homage to great music.
Cons - Kinda short? It's not a very good con to list...so probably ignore this and get it!
Overall Rating - 5 out of 5.


Side Note - And thus ends my first video game band awareness! It's not an award winning post by far, but it's my first attempt here. Thus, I can only go up from here! Thanks for reading, give the album a listen, and look forward to more album reviews that shall be an improvement over this one!

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment