Monday, August 5, 2013

VGBA 4 - DKC2 Serious Monkey Business

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Serious Monkey Business
A banana pile of DKC2 remixes!



Band - OCRemix Compilation.
Sites - Home. OCRemix. (You should get it right now because it's free and free is good!)
Type of Album - Video game remixes of Donkey Kong Country 2.
Genres - Assorted genres. I don't plan to list them all here.
Favorite Songs - Dance of the Zinger, Bramble Reprise, A New Place, and Monkeys Disarm Their Kremlings

Review - Woo! Today I am bringing my first OCRemix album review to the party. OCRemix is a website dedicated to video game remixes. There are all kinds of remixes on the site, and a lot of variety as far as video game selection goes. OCRemix has a huge collection going for it with nearly 3000 songs! The icing on this great cake? They're all freeeee!

On top of this, OCRemix does a big collaboration album (about once or twice a year). They get a large group and work together to create an album of remixes for a single title. As of now, they have FORTY albums available from their site for free. Serious Monkey Business clocks in at #17, and for me, it's easily one of my favorite ones. I'd probably call it a tie between this and Mega Man X: Maverick Rising, but I'll most likely get to that album in a later review. But that's enough plugging for OCRemix... Back to the review.

DKC2: Serious Monkey Business is a selection of 35 Remixes spanning pretty much the entire game's soundtrack. Personally, I already loved the soundtrack for Donkey Kong Country 2, so this remix album is just a huge win in my book. But what's in it for you guys? Well... full frontal of honesty here? The core audience for this album will first and foremost be for fans of the game. Beyond this fact, there's a lot of things to enjoy about this album.

These aren't your plain remixes of normal music done by most bands. These remixes are just pure awesome win of video game music. The artists behind these are geniuses of their trade (IMO), and they take already great game tracks and turn them into something unimaginable. The songs were already a big pile of nostalgia for me, so this album has taken that and given it a booster shot. Many of the songs have been given a new life through the remixes, and it brings out the best of them. I'd go so far as to say that I actually enjoy some of these songs more than the original versions!

It's not just creative remixing available here. Serious Monkey Business is loaded with a pile of variety in your face! Like most of their compilation albums, the music spans quite a few genres. They explore such genres as dance music, orchestra-style, metal, rock, piano, and all sorts of combination and in-betweens. It's pretty cool to hear many of these songs in contrasting styles. I listed a few of my favorites above, but I'd like to add that I enjoy 80% of the songs on the album. Only a few of them are strange and miss.

And now we explore the negatives of this album. There's the big one we already tackled. (For DKC2 fans above all.) Beyond that, I don't have any true complaints myself. There's a few remixed songs that include vocals alongside video game remixing. From my understanding, that seems to bother some people. In most cases, the lyrics and vocals really aren't so bad though. Worst case, you just don't listen to the two or three songs that feature vocals.

SO! To reiterate what I've covered here, Donkey Kong Country 2: Serious Monkey Business brings a new life to an already great video game soundtrack. There's a pile of talent here and a lot of variety to follow. Even if you don't like Donkey Kong Country 2, I'd still say to give it a listen. Why? Because it's a free album with a lot of variety. Who knows... Maybe you'll want to try out the game after this. (I'd suggest emulation.) Time to wrap this up with a Pros/Cons list and my official rating.

Pros - Donkey Kong Country 2, awesome remixes of classic songs, incredibly varied mixture of genres, a lot of music, and all of it is completely free.
Cons - For fans of DKC2 music, so if you don't like that... There's not nearly as much here for you. A couple of the songs have lyrics added, so that might turn some people off.
Rating - 5 out of 5.

Thanks for reading and go get into some SERIOUS MONKEY BUSINESS!
Awwwwwww yeaaaaaah~

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment