Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Side Post!

I'm still unsure of what I should play through next at this point and just spending some down time getting reorganized and back on track. (That and working retail during the holidays is... balls.) With all that in mind, I figured I'd list off all the games I've bought during this year that also released this year. This... is going to be a hefty list.

I'm going to list off all I can remember as well as a quick grouping of thoughts with each game. Keep in mind, I won't say anything about games I've yet to play. (Because that's unfair to the game regardless of what I've heard about them.) I figure I'll choose five games from the entire list as well to be my "Games of Choice". Just a heads up here, they aren't going to all be RPGs here. I play all sorts of games, so this is going to be quite a variety.

Let's get to it.

Recurring Fantasy Side Post Theater Proudly Presents
Games of 2014

Not going in any specific order at this point, so don't think I'm ranking them yet. My "Games of Choice" will appear at the end.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3, 360, PC)
     A sequel to an amazing game. I had fun with the game, but in general, it just doesn't compare to the first one. It's still a good game and worth picking up... at a discounted price. It's hard to put into words. The combat remains pretty good if you ask me, but the story and characters fall short of how the original went. It kept up for a bit, but it was an overall disappointment by the time it was said and done.


Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (PS3)
     I played the first game on the GameCube. Really enjoyed my time back then, so I picked up the Chronicles as it contained both the original and the sequel.. but in HD for a great price! Unfortunately, I picked it up at a bad time and didn't end up playing much. If you like RPGs with a lot to do, collect, and see plus action RPG-style battles... This title is for you! (Was only $40 originally, so you can probably get it pretty cheap even now.)


Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD Edition (PC)
     I now own almost every iteration of this game. GameCube, PS2, original PC (disc), Wii, PS3 (PSN digital), and then I picked up the Ultimate HD Edition on Steam. Resident Evil 4 is among my top five of favorite games of all time. It gets a mention on this post because the Ultimate HD Edition fixed all the problems with the original PC version, but I don't feel right immediately counting it in the "Games of Choice" because it already had an unfair advantage. Just trying to not play favorites. If I could, I'd name it all five and go tell you to play it now. Great game, awesome action, fun characters, interesting story, just gooooooood stuff. Enough said here.


South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3, 360, PC)
     I realize that I already posted about this game a little ways after its release, but it does deserve a re-listing. I had fun with it, but I happen to enjoy South Park. You can like RPGs all you want, but that's both the best and worst thing about this title... Needing a knowledge of the series. If you don't have it, I can't really suggest this title. I will say that it's definitely more challenging than most RPGs though, so look into that if you want something to give you a run for your money (compared to the usual).


Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Collection (PS3, PS Vita)
     How can I not mention this? I bought it. I haven't played much of it yet, but there's two full games here remastered into HD. I don't mean half-ass remastered like MOST HD collections. (Looking at a lot of you right now but won't name them.) It's a great update to a great selection of games. I can't say I liked X-2 very much but some people do. Honestly, for like $20 now, you get a great HD update of a fantastic Final Fantasy and its weird sequel.


Infamous Second Son (PS4)
     Hello early PS4 title. How are you doing? What's that?! You are super short and easy to complete? Well that's just crazy... Also my opinion. I had fun running around with all powers and such, but the game and story are just so... short. I collected everything in the game and finished the story within 14 hours of gameplay. I only skipped some weird online thing, but who cares. With the completion of the title, it was out the window and out of my life.


The Witch and the Hundred Knight (PS3)
     Nooooooooooooooooooooope. Just... This game is for people who love Disgaea with its kooky antics and overbearingly large amount of leveling and gameplay. For everybody else, it's a terrible action RPG with awkward characters and story. Just... no. You may feel otherwise but no for me.


The Child of Light ( PS4, PS3, PS Vita, 360, XB1, WiiU, PC)
     I have this game, but I have not played it yet. (Might be the next game I play/review on the blog... WHO KNOWS) However, I have played a bit of a demo, and it's a great game in its own right. Turn-based battles with active elements. There's lots of puzzles and exploration. It's the kind of game we want but rarely ever get.


Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
     I enjoy Nintendo and its characters. I don't know if I'd classify myself as a Nintendo fanboy, but I like their stuff. I've enjoyed nearly every Kirby game that comes to mind. I enjoyed Triple Deluxe... but it's not anything I'd go crazy about. Kirby games rarely ever evolve anymore, so we kind of end up with the same game every couple years. Good but not worth the full price they charge. (Loaned my copy out to two different people... so yeah.)


Wolfenstein The New Order (PS3, PS4, 360, XB1, PC)
     Every year, we get another Call of Duty or Battlefield or both. These are what I'd classify as typical and pretty straightforward First Person Shooters with their massive online group and kinda plain gameplay. Then we get the OTHER shooters. Games like the Metro series, BioShock, and... Wolfenstein. The New Order brings in a great mixture of the old school shooting with the new school of gameplay. If I look past any true factors involved... I really enjoyed the gameplay. Fast-paced with lots of action and just good old shooting bad guys. Enough for me really.


Killer is Dead (PS3, 360, PC)
     Suda 51 is one of those magical developers that just don't exist enough in the world of gaming. However, I've come to learn that despite his name being stickered on the game... Magic doesn't always come about. Killer is Dead is unfortunately one of those. It's your typical hack and slash with a ridiculous over-the-top story and characters. Hard as crap to follow, but there's plenty of fun to be found inbetween. Really can't suggest for most people, but... if you find it cheap, give it a chance. (And look past that silly GLARE AT LADIES mini game, I'm willing to admit it's creepy and sad but could be a whole lot worse.)


Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
     It's Mario Kart. Fantastic party fun with karts and racing. They messed up the Battle mode by taking away arenas, but there's still plenty of fun to be had. They also recently released a DLC that added Link, from the Legend of Zelda, to the cast! It's fun by yourself but definitely best enjoyed with a crowd!


Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS)
     A game that takes a mixture between Mega Man Zero and an interesting gameplay element. Interesting characters and story with gameplay that proves quite challenging. It's fun and I beat it... but I didn't get the true ending. I didn't take the time and kind of lost interest honestly. If you have a 3DS and liked Mega Man Zero or Mega Man ZX... Go get it now!


Mighty Gunvolt (3DS)
    A newly created retro-style game that screams Mega Man gameplay and look and hilariously bad translations. It's cheaper than Azure Striker Gunvolt and more fun if you ask me. Grab it up!


Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (3DS)
     This already has a giant review post. I liked it, great improvement on the original, but it's kind of a niche group. Still a fun game to listen and tap the day away to though~


Hyrule Warriors (WiiU)
     Dynasty Warriors meets the Legend of Zelda in a strange but quite fun game. The story brings together some of the best Zelda lore while playing up the slashing through thousands of victims angle of gameplay. It's a lot of fun to play but a lot of depth to dig through and unlock. Definitely worth your time if you own a WiiU, but I can't call it a reason to buy the system I'm afraid.


Super Smash Bros 2014 (WiiU, 3DS)
     It's Super Smash Bros. There's really nothing to add here. I would suggest the WiiU version over the 3DS version purely because I prefer a controller over the 3DS controls cause the controller feels better. Otherwise, they're the same game, both fun, and multiplayer madness!


The Binding of Issac: Rebirth (PS4, PS Vita, PC)
     I enjoyed the original game, and Rebirth is just an updated re-release of the original. It looks better, plays better, and is still a fun game. The content can be disturbing, but it's funny disturbing. Gameplay is a mixture between classic Legend of Zelda dungeon exploration and Smash TV directional destruction. Easy to pick up and play but difficult to master. I... still haven't beaten it.


Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (WiiU)
     I know what you're thinking... Another Sonic the Hedgehog game. Yup, that's what it is. They keep making new ones. I keep buying them. I'm willing to argue that I've enjoyed many of them to a point. Sonic Colors and Generations get a special mention here. Sonic Boom though... not good. I keep playing it and hoping for improvement, but it's not really worth my time. I'll probably keep trying to play it and will regret it later though. Can not recommend.


Tales of Heart R (PS Vita)
     I haven't played it yet. It's a port of Tales of Heart that only got a release in Japan, but then they brought it over to America... for the Vita. I enjoy my Vita ever so often, but I can really only suggest it to people if they enjoy random PS3 ports and a big pile of JRPGs. (I do mean a big pile. I can't even name how many JRPGs you can get on here. Kinda ridiculous really.)


Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (3DS)
     It's another Pokemon game. Highly recommend if you are a Pokemon junkie or enjoy a strangely deep and developed RPG. I can't NOT recommend it. I won't push it like crazy, but it is still a solid game regardless of being the exact same game since the beginning. (Give or take a few features.)



Now, I might be missing a few titles in there, but that covers a majority of the games I've gotten over the year. However... now we enter into my "Games of Choice". If you wish, you can basically just call them my favorite games of the year. Let's begin with #5!


#5 - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (WiiU)
     Following up on the incredibly well done Donkey Kong Country Returns comes a fantastic sequel with plenty of Donkey Kong Country fun, references, and challenge. It looks great, plays great, sounds great. There's just no finding a game that's been newly created that fits so well to what I find is... traditional gameplay. However, at the same time, Tropical Freeze stands out as its own game. Easily one of the best games you can get for the WiiU right now!


#4 - Bravely Default (3DS)
     You're probably disappointed because this isn't #1. I can explain... Okay I really can't, but let's gloss past that. Bravely Default is the game JRPG people have wanted for YEARS. Square Enix finally delivered after so many years of people going "WHYYYYYY" on their other material (namely recent Final Fantasy titles). It's an incredibly deep game with challenging RPG gameplay (generally hard to pull off), a ton of customization, strategy out the butt, more customization, enjoyable and real characters, engaging story, and fun fun fun fun fun for RPG-ers everywhere! Let us hope the sequel reaches us swiftly~


#3 - Bayonetta 2 (WiiU)
     You are probably glaring at me right now about how I'm being a Nintendo fanboy or something. I can clarify right now... I am not. I can discredit Nintendo quite easily without even trying. BEYOND THAT, they have some great titles for their systems. Bayonetta 2 is one of them. It could easily be on the other consoles right now, but why isn't it? I honestly don't know. Clearly Nintendo gave Platinum Games (company that made Bayonetta) a chance, and they took it. Bayonetta 2 might be a bit oversexualized at times, but you need to look past that RIGHT NOW. It's a fantastic game with actual freaking gameplay. It's fast-paced, action packed, challenging but do-able, balanced gameplay that punishes you because you deserve it and NOT because it wants to. (AKA my problem with the Souls series) Bayonetta 2 instilled in me the idea that... gaming isn't dead. I'm being overdramatic, but I will allow it. Great game. If you have a WiiU, get on it. Go. Do it.


#2 - The Evil Within (PS3, PS4, 360, XB1, PC)
     My love for Resident Evil 4 lead me here. I'll be honest. Before the game's release, I didn't look into nor cared much about this title. Upon release, I finally gave it some thought. I looked up bits and pieces, talked with a few people, and then jumped the fence to buy it. With the game bought, I took it home and... the magic begins. It's a Japanese style horror story, so it's got a lot of crazy and demented things going on throughout the game, but that's not why I'm all about it. I could care less about the characters and story. (They're all interesting and such, but it's kinda bat shit crazy and hard to follow sometimes.) I'm in this because the gameplay makes me feel like Resident Evil 4 came back to me. There's a challenge and skill mixture that's just right. A few moments slowed down too much here and there, but overall, I really enjoyed my experience. I plan to go back soon for another round of torture... ON THE HARDEST DIFFICULTY BABY!



And finally... my #1 game for the year?



Shovel Knight
(WiiU, 3DS, PC)

     I already talked about Shovel Knight back there. I gave to the Kickstarter, and it was well worth my time and money. Shovel Knight brings us a blast from the past with more than before! The game pushes you to the limit while holding up the value and style of modern times. It's a platformer with more than the former. It's a pile of sentences racking up into a mish mash of nothingness, so I'll get to the point.
     Shovel Knight is great for all ages. It's fun. There's an interesting character and story. It requires you to both think and be fast on your feet. It's a game that is very possible yet challenging. It takes the old style of platforming and adds in a shovel. An unusual item made into a fantastic game mechanics. Dig stuff, bounce off stuff, KILL ENEMIES, and so much more. The game has been designed so well, and it shows. You've got your Mega Man-esque style of level design and bosses with a bit of Super Mario Bros 3 for world map and progression. The story seems simple but is actually pretty deep and detailed despite what the retro style would lead you to believe. The music makes you feel like you're playing an old game with a great beat.
     There's just nothing wrong with it. The only people who won't like it probably just haven't given it a chance. It's a fun game and deserves your support. Shovel Knight is the best. That's why it is my #1 game for this year.


Aaaaaand that does it! These are the games I've played this year, and it's a pretty large amount. This is probably missing a few games, but they are either so relevant it doesn't matter or so irrelevant and didn't get played. I need to get a better job to afford all these titles. ANYWAYS! That's all for this Side Post, so I hope you enjoyed my inside opinion on a big pile of games. Thanks for reading and see you soon when I pin down the game I'll be playing next.

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment