Monday, December 22, 2014

VGBA Explosion! #5 - Random Late 2014 Releases

Time for another EXPLOSION of Video Game Bands and their releases! There have been a pretty large number of releases since I've been able to do anything. On top of that, I keep getting behind on my purchases. I could buy more and more, but I try to only get a single album at a time and give myself time to enjoy it.

Why? Because in the past, I have bought a group of albums and then ended up passing most of them by because I can't get myself to focus on one album long enough to enjoy it. (Since I bought several and want to get my moneys worth and all.)

THUS!... I'm going to list off several new release here. (I figure somewhere in the ballpark of five different albums.) You should know that I've only had the time and money to get a few of them below. I'll try to give each one a listen before giving any thoughts on them though. Let's start off with an interesting and quite enjoyable freebie!

Super VG Christmas Party

This album kind of came out of the blue for me, and it's so amazing and such a large selection. There's so many bands and artists on here, and I don't think I know more than maybe a third of who all is on here. The variety of both genre and video game selection are crazy. You'll see so much here and probably haven't even played them all! (Or I sure haven't) Great remixes of a huge assortment of video game music to fit your yuletide celebrations. To top all that off? IT IS ABSOLUTELY FREE!

As far as music genres go, I don't know any other type that releases as much free music as Video Game Bands and Video Game Remixers. Seriously, if you know of another genre of music willing to learn and play awesome music and costs you nothing, then please let me know.

If I had any special highlights here... I honestly don't know if I could choose. There is one song that really sticks out here. (FYI, I decided to choose one that wasn't just one of my favorite bands on the album like Random Encounter, Armcannon, The Returners, or Codename Trigger Thumb.)

The song I'm going to highlight is Dragonborn's Shout (TES V - Skyrim) by Psycho Crusher. I happened to enjoy the original song, but their version just... feels so amazing. Easily one of my favorite songs from the album. I plan to look into more of these groups when I get a chance.

Next up...


The Descendants of Erdrick - Advent

The Descendants of Erdrick (another clear favorite VG band of mine) released their latest album, Advent, a couple weeks ago. I will say that the style has changed a bit from the previous album, but that's because the band lineup has changed quite a bit as well over the past year. That aside, we're still getting quality material from these guys. It's a bit heavier than their previous material, but every song is well chosen and just well thrashed... which is good I think for metal? If not, just know that I'm being positive here. I like the album. I really do. 

In all honesty, I had planned to do a full VGBA review of this album, but I never got around to it at release, so it ended up being pushed back until now. I don't have the time to make individual reviews for this and the other two or three albums that released recently. They do deserve your attention though. Advent brings us some great metal-ified version of songs spanning Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, and many other RPG adventure games. (The group's main focus at this point) 

My favorite song off of the album has to be Shinra Oppression. It's the song I remember the most from both the actual game and the album itself. Regardless, get on down to the Bandcamp, give it a listen, and buy yourself some awesome metal!


OldStyle - Baroque Remixes

From the great Dj CUTMAN comes a very unique and interesting take on classical music. It's classic music meets chiptunes. There's really not much to add here, but I would like to say... It's pretty dang cool. Despite how you might think that mixture would go, it's actually pretty cool to hear. It's got a really funky jamming vibe that also seems pretty classy at the same time. It's the right mixture of old and new to create something so amazing your ears will be confused.

None of the songs really stand out here to single out, but they're all pretty amazing, so I just had a hard time choosing here.

It's a quick album with a really unique sound and interesting to just hear it out. For the low price of only $5, you can enjoy a bit of history both past... and present.


The Returners - Immune to Silence

The first release from the great new VG band, The Returners. (Got their name from the fictitious rebellion group from Final Fantasy VI.) They bring us a very different selection of songs from video games and even a few TV shows. (Combined into one track called Epic Saturday Morning.) We come across some of our usual contenders (Final Fantasy, Zelda), but we also get a nice taste of things I haven't seen covered as much, like Phantasy Star, Starcraft, and Lufia. There's definitely a great selection of music here.

As for their overall sound, it's leaning more towards rock than metal. It's really easy on the ears and a great listen that won't just blow your ears off with loud or boisterous. (It makes for pretty great background music.) They also have the flute-est... flute-er... flute expert, Lauren the Flute. This is her main band after she left Descendants of Erdrick (or so my understanding goes).

I can be honest here. I haven't listened to this album as much as I'd have liked. Mostly just time versus number of albums I tend to get. Not in any way negative though! It's got a great sound and overall some really good covers of video game music. It's definitely worth a listen (and your money), so I'd highly suggest it.

If nothing else, my favorite song "Epic Saturday Morning" is pretty awesome by itself. It combines the Gargoyles opening theme followed by the X-Men (older) opening theme, and then followed by a final one I haven't seen (The Knights of Justice). 

Give The Returner's a shot and let your mind be blown... by the rock!


DKC Mix't Ape '94

Now for my final selection... An item I haven't listened to yet! Why do I list it? Because I love me some Donkey Kong Country music! This is another great free compilation by a few groups I've heard of (Droidekka, The World is Square, Super Guitar Bros) and many people I've never heard of. I plan to get it soon enough, and I figure it's worth recommending now!

I still really enjoy some Donkey Kong Country music. The original soundtrack is great. OCRemix has remixed the first and second games music as part of their free albums. (Kong in Concert, Serious Monkey Business... I reviewed that one.) They did the third game as well, but I haven't really played that game enough to recognize the music. Regardless, this is another free album that's definitely got to be worth a listen. I shall get it soon enough... YES, SOOOOON.


And that's what I got for this Explosion! We got five albums here, and they're all pretty varied with what they offer you. Give these a listen and be ready for another Explosion! soon enough. (Not this month, but I'm backed up enough on albums to need an Explosion! over a plan review.) Hope you enjoyed the post and got yourself some tasty new beats to keep you satisfied.~

Until next time...

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment