Friday, October 18, 2013

VGBA 8 - Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens

Codename Trigger Thumb - Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens
Get ready for the "feels". Also it's a strange album cover but TRUST ME!



Band - Codename Trigger Thumb
Sites - Home. Facebook. Bandcamp.
Type of Album - Video Game Covers and Remixes.
Genres - Rock, Experimental, It's really piano-y but beautiful.
Favorite Song/Songs - No Heart No Friends

Review - Now, I'm all for video game covers, but ever so often, I feel like I need a change. Most video game cover bands tend to trend towards rock or metal. Nothing wrong with that. VG Rock and VG Metal are just great and classic examples of "how to remix and/or cover video game music." Today, I bring you something a little different with the band Codename Trigger Thumb and their debut album, "Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens."

Of course, you might be wondering how it's so different. If you read the genre's part, you noticed I threw in a "really piano-y". Basically, the songs selection here is slower-paced and more emotion tugging than your usual VGBA lineup. The song selection features quite a selection from titles like Nier, Kingdom Hearts, Xenogears, ICO, and more. Now, I'm not an expert on these soundtracks, but I did recognize a tune here and there.

Despite the different lineup, they have brought along a great sound and talent to the board. The songs are slower than your usual VGM, but they really hit you in the face with FEELINGS. It's slow and somber, but there's a good sound to hear. The piano takes control for a majority of the tracks, so if you hadn't realized it by now, this album won't be for everybody. Anytime I start it up though, I can't help but go through the entire thing.

Now, the album does come with the concept. I could try to re-explain it in my own words, but I'm going to just borrow and credit their bandcamp instead.

Quoted from Codename Trigger Thumb bandcamp
It is the end of days. Government has shut down all video game devices and has been issued orders by the president to destroy any remaining games, both past and present. Gaming as the world once knew it will cease to exist. Violence in gaming has led to outrage among parents and adults. 

A small coalition has formed in the wake of the attack on gaming. Calling themselves "Trigger Thumb," the faction of four begins an underground movement to attack the government and reclaim all forms of video gaming.

It's an interesting concept, but it's not very prevalent in the album. Why? Because the album features very few lyrics, so any interpretation of what's going on is purely on the sound and mood of the music. If you ask me though, I hate when they do this. If you are trying to tell a story, you need to have SOME words and lyrics. You don't have to straight up tell me the whole story. Heck, if nothing else, take The Protomen route and include a ridiculous number of filler notes.

Regardless, I'm probably trying to hard to find it in the album. It's quite possible that it's not supposed to be there. Therefore! I won't count it against the overall score, but I will still mention it as a con below.

The only true con I have about this album is the following: A few of the songs drag on a bit long. That's really all I have. Near the end of the last song (Stand Here Forever) it especially does this. It's possible they're going with the source material, but I'd still say it drags on a bit near the end. That's my only real complaint.

SO OVERALL! Codename Trigger Thumb's first album, Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens brings a great new sound and style to a genre with very little slow-paced, thoughtful musicalness. (It's not a bad thing, but variety is the life spice.) It's not a perfect album, but I'd still say it's quite enjoyable.

Pros - Great video game cover-mixes. A rare sight of NOT electronic, rock, or metal remix! (Okay some rock.) Lots of great sounds and talent. Nice calm yet moody sound of pianos, drums, and guitar without going overboard.
Cons - Compared to most, it's not very exploring. If you don't know at least one or two of the tracks, I feel that some of the value will be lost, as with most VGBA stuff. There's a few parts near the end where it drags on too long. The album story concept isn't very graspable, but I don't think it's supposed to be... MIGHT JUST BE NOTHING! (AKA I'm calling that "not a real con".)
Rating - 4 out of 5.

Now, go to their bandcamp and download it! Or, you can be more awesome and PAY FOR IT! (You don't have to, but I feel it's always a nice gesture to the artist.)

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment