Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Dragon Warrior I (GBC) - Final Thoughts

Now, I've really taken my time to beat this game and get the post all said and done. That fact combined with it being a pretty short game means I'm not going to dedicated a whole massive and complex review. Instead, I'm just going to type up a quick "Final Thoughts" kinda like I did with the first couple of Final Fantasy games. There's really not enough game here to warrant a massive in-depth review so... Let's get to it!

Dragon Warrior I - Final Thoughts

Now... What did I truly think of Dragon Warrior I?

I had fun! It's nice to get back to the basics of RPG. It keeps to a very simple set of core elements. You've got basic stats, HP and MP, and a level system that stops at level 30. Battles are all one-on-one since you only have the one character. Your spells are limited to just a few very simple ones like fireball, sleep, heal, a few utility, and a couple upgraded spells. All in all, it's a pretty simple game, but that doesn't hold it back any!

Although that might be a bit simple for some, it felt like a breath of fresh air for me. This came especially nice after all those later, more complex FF titles. As you can see below, it really doesn't look too bad for 2D if you ask me.

Game Boy Remake.
Original NES version.
It's hard to say if the original NES version or the remake for the GBC looks better though... They both have their own flair to them, but the GBC one has a few improved game elements to it, so I went with that one. (Also I actually own a copy of it although I used an emulator... JUST GO WITH IT!) The graphics might be a bit dated, but I feel they still look good. It's the classic, the original, the...greatest!

Dragon Warrior I offers two really great elements that have disappeared in most new RPGs. True open exploration and non-linear gameplay. From the very beginning, you are free to travel wherever you want. You are limited by stronger enemies in different areas, but that doesn't mean you are not allowed to try! Minus the final series of events to reach Dracolord's Castle, you can collect the items in any order you wish.

If you really think about it, most RPGs (even earlier ones) didn't give you that much freedom. Heck, even the first Final Fantasy had to be done in a precise order, or you couldn't move on to the next part. Of course, at the same time, that gives you very little story because you can't make a story that works in a random order very easily. That brings me into the story.

Comparative to most... It's pretty weak. You're a descendant of the legendary hero Loto, and you are here to restore the Ball of Light and grant peace to the world. You save the Lady Lora along the way and gain her love, but otherwise, there's not much more story to it. It's not bad by any means, but it's not much depth to it either.

If I had any complaints to voice, I'd probably mention that it's decently hard and generally easy to lose your way. Without a guide, I'd probably never find half the things I did. You have to talk with basically every NPC available in the world to gain the full understanding of where everything is at. Sure, you can put two and two together to learn what needs to be done, but there are some things, like the Rainbow Drop, which aren't nearly as obvious.

The hard isn't really a complaint here so much as a statement in general. It's a fairly tough game, and you'll want to grind a few extra levels here and there when you can. I stated in the post that the game spawns harder enemies as you go further down. It makes sense, and it's a great idea, but it also tends to get you in a bad scenario. You go further and further down and encounter harder odds that you may have not been prepared for. In the end, it's really not a complaint... It's just annoying!

And now for my truly final thought on the game? I had hard times, but I still enjoyed myself. This is my first full playthrough of Dragon Warrior I (and a Dragon Quest game in general!) If the remaining games are even remotely as good as this one, I'm in for a treat.

If any of you out there are considering the game, I'd advise playing either the GBC remake or the SNES remake. The SNES (Super Nintendo) remake is a japanese exclusive, but you can find a translation patch for the rom or a rom that's already been patched. (I'm not linking either one. You can find them if you look around.)

And thus, Dragon Warrior I comes to an end. I used a guide for almost the entire game, but I still liked the adventure that I had. I apologize to anybody who was waiting around all this time. I swear I've been playing the game, but things are going slow now because of the holiday season. I figure to have Dragon Warrior II started fairly soon, and I should have it done before January is over. (If I don't... I am failing.)

SO! Thanks for reading, and thanks to anybody who has stuck around through it all! I'm very much liking the Dragon Quest series, and I look forward to the rest of the titles. I hope you had a great Christmas, a great New Year, and look forward to more to come in the year 2014!

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment