Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day 4


Game - Final Fantasy, Day 4
Hours Played/Hours Total - 3-1/2 hrs / 13-1/2 hrs
Starting Point - Right beside Lake Crescent and its city.
Current Goal - Find Mount Gulg and defeat the Fiend of Fire!

What Happened - Didn't have a lot of time to play, but I did at least get something accomplished.
     Started off by Lake Crescent, and I immediately took to the river with my newly received canoe. Because a canoe is a great gift to the heroes of everything as we know it. Exploration of the river leads to new monsters and new locations!...or it would if most of the river didn't lead to dead ends forcing you to constantly turn around and take the OTHER path you didn't take. What felt like forever later, I finally arrived at the volcano and entered to pursue the Fiery Fiend! Unfortunately for me, this meant another twisty-curvy dungeon of ridiculousness. Also you get to walk on lava all the time..I'm sorry I need to attack this. You constantly walk around the dungeon on LAVA! Sure, it does damage to you (a minimal amount) for every step you take on it. The monsters proved to be very little threat or challenge as I walked on through. I even got a few ice-based items that made the fire monsters even EASIER. 5 levels down, I finally encounter the Fiend of Fire, Marilith. Again, another boss battle that feels honestly disappointing. She did fling some nasty attacks at the black mage, but otherwise, she went down without any real fight. Maybe I'm overprepared and/or overpowered for most of the bosses. I honestly don't know.
     With Marilith defeated, I restored the Fire Crystal and now the world is around half-saved! Just two more crystals to go and now I'm back to my original situation of "What do I do next!?" After leaving Mount Glug, I headed back to Lake Crescent with my new vast fortune of over 100,000 gil. I bought up everything I could and decided to actually talk to the NPCs. They gave me nothing to work on, so I looked over the map again and spotted one area just north that I could possibly explore. I went back to my ship and sailed over in front of a river. Fun enough, you can jump in your canoe straight from the ship without having to dock the ship, and so I began my exploration of the river. Same thing as with Mount Glug, you run through a twisted river pathway with lots of dead ends. I came upon a cave along the way...turns out it was just Whisperwind Cave.
     Just a small explanation of the cave, it is another one of those extra fancy dungeons that was tacked onto the newest remakes of Final Fantasy (GBA and PSP). Like the Earthspring one, it doesn't unlock until you beat the fiend that is associated with the element of cave if it. Basically, Earthspring opened when I beat Lich. Not only did I not feel like doing it...it was also impossible for me to do it right now. This cave should open when I beat whoever is the Fiend of Air/Wind. With that in mind, I had no reason to stay here and decided to move on to the next cave I spotted on the map.
     The cave I spotted was something called Cavern of Ice. Seeing as there isn't a Fiend of Ice, I wasn't sure what the importance of this cave was, but I don't know where to go anyways. Therefore, I began my exploration! The cave is pretty simple...I mean, it's just a big cave with ice all over. I'm just glad that I'm not having to do a damn sliding puzzle (aka any ice cave in Pokemon). The enemies didn't seem too bad until I ran into some dark elves. Those little bastards are jerks! They take more to kill than the rest of the monsters, and they can cast lovely spells like Firaga or Thundaga. Never managed to kill me, but they were still a great nuisance. I managed to come upon a room with a weird crystal and two chests. I immediately knew I needed that crystal, so I ran to it. Then a crack in the floor opened up for me and I fell through. I don't know why I thought it would be that simple...so I headed the only direction I could and tried to find a way back up. Some searching and item chests later, I managed to get back up and found a staircase that took me back out. I healed everybody in my party with a cottage, and then I went right back in. I HAD TO GET THAT CRYSTAL THING!
     I did cheat a bit here as well. I wasn't sure how to get to the crystal (found out it's the levistone), and I looked up a small wiki about the cave. Just told me I couldn't directly approach it and had to fall on it. Simple enough, retraced my steps down and found a hole into the room. I approached the stone and then...a boss appears! The Evil Eye is so menacing and evil. His very steps inhabit even the bravest dreams, or they would if he didn't drop after the first attack...Yeah, he went down so easy it was sad and embarassing. With his defeat, I earned myself a nice little reward..the levistone! Now I just have to figure out what to DO with it. And that concludes my playing for today. I gotta head to work soon, so I'm looking for a spot to save. Most likely I will save my game outside the cavern of ice.

Ending Point - Outside the Cavern of Ice.

Levels Achieved - 8 levels earned. Currently level 33.
Goals Accomplished - Found Mount Gulg and explored the Cavern of Fire. Defeated the Fiend of Fire. Found Whisperwind Cove and left. Found and explored the Cavern of Ice. Obtained the Levistone from the Cavern of Ice.
Next Goals - Find and defeat the next Fiend. Figure out how/where to do that. Figure out what the Levistone is for.


~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment