Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Day 94

Game - Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Day 94
Hours Played/Hours Total - 5 hrs / 8-1/2 hrs
Starting Point - Aquaria.
Current Goal - Find and restore the next crystal. Save the world!

What Happened - MYSTIC QUEST! It's great! It's short! Let's get right into it!
     Where we left off, I had to continue to Fireburg to deal with Earthquakes while also finding where Captain Mac went. Before I leave though, I explore the village a bit to make sure I'm not missing anything. As it turns out, there's a lady in one of the houses who sells you better armor for 200 GP. (I didn't explain armor earlier, so here's the short version. Armor is simply found and auto-equipped.) With that done, it's time to head back to the Focus Tower.
     Along the way, a new pathway has opened on the World Map! It also contained a couple Battlefields to fight through. The first one rewards me with an Exit spell. The second one just gives me money. OH WELL! Time to move on and into the Focus Tower's next floor. In there, the old man is waiting once again with more news. First off, Captain Mac left his home because of something horrible happening. Keeper goes !!!, but then the old man says I should seek out Reuben in Firebug. So... I'm not going there for Captain Mac. That's all okay.
     The only thing left to do in this spot is move a pillar into a position and obtain a few new items. (Venus Shield and Blizzard magic) Then I get to exit the tower and re-enter it at the base to continue upwards. With the Crystal of Water restored, another colored door opens, and I get to leave through another Focus Tower exit. Oh boy! Three battlefields in a row! Whoopee! Now that I'm past those... Let's get to Fireburg.
     And here's some Fireburg for you.

Dat Hotel sign.
I explore the town a little bit and used my recent battlefield earnings to stock up. I got a good assortment of healing items and bought a fancy new axe, the Battle Axe. Then I look around for this Reuben fellow and learn about what is going on. It seems that his father was heading to the nearby volcano to investigate current happenings. On the way there, his friend abandoned him and ran away while the father got stuck on the volcano behind a boulder. Reuben wants to save his father, and Keeper is more than eager to help.
     Keep in mind, this all comes back around to restoring the Crystal of Fire. We can't get to it without Reuben or his father or whatever. First thing's first though, we have to find his father's friend. The guy who abandoned him knows how to use the Mega Grenade, and we need that to clear out the boulder. However, Mega Grenade guy has locked himself in his house, and we have no way to get in there. A random villager I talked to spilled the beans about a man in town who can "open any lock". As it turns out, this man is actuall Tristam! (The ninja star guy from earlier in the game.) Keeper explains to him about the locked door, and Tristam hands over the Multi-key.

Looks like a sword...
     I take the Multi-key and go over to Mega Grenade guy's house. I open the door, go inside, and he explains what happened. He was scared by the monsters up there and ran away, but then Reuben's father got trapped up there by a boulder. Keeper asks how to use the Mega Grenade, and his explanation simply is "Just throw it!" ....That was almost pointless. Giant Bombs have now become Mega Grenades, and they can be thrown now too. Time to rescue Reuben's father.
     Two battlefields later, and I've earned the Thunder spell. Thus, it wasn't a complete waste of my time. Now onward into the Mines! The Mine is full of exotic creatures like zombies, red caps (goblin), and red skeletons. To be fair, the Mine felt kinda small and boring compared to previous places then BOSS BATTLE TIME!

I am Jinn! (The D is silent and nonexistent here.)
     Funny thing is, the boss blended in so well with the other units that I didn't realize it was a boss. The boss battle music was the first thing that directly tipped me off, but anyways! It's time to fight the DJINN. He's got more HP than anybody else, but he really wasn't a special fight beyond that. I'd really only call him a mini-boss at best. His attacks were powerful though, so I'd advise not going unprepared. Aaand then it's over.
     I head through the exit he was blocking and find myself on a ledge across from another ledge. There's a man over there with a large boulder next to him. Odds are, this is Reuben's father, and we just need to fling a Mega Grenade over. That dislodges the boulder and causes it to roll out onto the world map. (It was physically present on the world map to block my path.) We can now reach the Volcano... after I explore the Mines a bit more!
     I quickly found out that the Mines were quite a bit bigger than I thought. It's not a massive place, but there are several small rooms to explore. It's worth the time too because you find the Charm Claw, an upgraded claw weapon. It's weaker than the Battleaxe I bought, but I go ahead and use it anyways. There's not much more to describe of the area so... RANDOM SCREENSHOTS!



The path system in here is different from most. The paths are generally all one-direction, so you can't move back and forth easily. This caused me to get lost at one point because I couldn't figure out the right path to the exit. I finally said "screw you game!" and used an Exit spell to leave.
     With the boulder moved, a new Battlefield opened up just for me! I cleared it out and went back to Fireburg to gear up. I briefly talked to Reuben's father, but all he did was confirm that the Fire Crystal is definitely on the Volcano. Therefore, our next target is the Volcano.
     The Volcano consisted of two parts. The climb up the slope came first. Overall, it was a pretty straightforward climb up the Volcano's exterior. There's a few different paths you can take, but they only lead to new items. Along the way, I acquired a Gas Mask. Strangely placed in this game, but it lets you see monsters in foggy areas. Once I reached the top, I had to fight a green haired lady among all the monsters. Turns out it is Medusa for BOSS BATTLE TIME!
     Along with Medusa is a pair of "werewolves". They aren't any trouble, but she comes off as pretty dang tough. Her attacks are decently powerful and all, but she is able to petrify people. Petrification is death, and if both characters are petrified, then it's automatic Game Over. (A flaw of the game is having only two party members.) I died several times just dealing with the petrify status. What ended up doing the most damage here was the spell "White" (Holy). I recently obtained it, and it's all forms of powerful against pretty much any monster. Also targets all monsters, and that is just icing on the cake. It is a Wizard spell though, so you are pretty limited on casting it. Anyways, here's a few screenshots to accompany all this.

Pretty sure those "werewolves" are actually cerberus-i.
Now you've got me REALLY angry!
Somehow you shaved me with bombs and a morning star.
     After more tries than I'd care to amount (nor did I count), I finally defeated Medusa and was allowed into the Volcano's Dome. The journey into the dome took a bit longer than the climb up on the outside. The key problem I ran into here are just the sheer number of enemies around here. That and they're hilariously misplaced enemies lurking in the volcano, like ninjas. Just take a look below.

Volcano ninjas! The world's deadliest warrior.
Seriously programmers. Ninjas don't belong in volcanoes! Also the other monsters that don't really fit here, but whatever! I think part of it's supposed to be a joke against other games doing this.
     Now, I haven't been doing as much suggestions and tips through this walkthrough, but I will say this. As far as this game goes, it's always best to explore every single divergence from the main path. Heck, make sure to check every nook and cranny because there are new armor, weapons, and spells littered throughout the game. It's the main reason I keep doing all the Battlefields as well. Many of them reward you with spells and armor. Just be sure to look around when you can! Before entering the final chamber here, I had to open the big door with a switch. I did this by chance before I reached it though, so I didn't have to backtrack any. Inside the final chamber is a two-headed hydra-dragon thinger!

Final Room + Hydra Shot
     BOSS BATTLE TIME! It's a fire-type Hydra and breathes fire. (Not really a surprise seeing as we are in a volcano and all.) Unfortunately, he wasn't very hard at all. Medusa gave me a lot more trouble. Sure, the Fire Hydra had some powerful attacks, but he didn't have anything beyond that. I did include a damage montage for you though!

Pardon, I forgot the initial look.
Now he just looks like a regular dragon.
Now he's very angry and beaten down!
With the Fire Hydra defeated, the Fire Crystal appears before us, and it is officially restored. Keeper makes a mention that there's just one crystal left to restore at this point. Reuben says that someone from Windia once mentioned a crystal being there. Keeper inquires to where Windia is, and Reuben says we need to head Southeast of the Focus Tower.
     With the Fire Crystal restored, the Volcano erupted and created a new path to the Focus Tower. I leave the Dome, and head south. One Battlefield later, and it's through the Focus Tower we go... to Windia! I briefly met the Old Man in the Focus Tower, and he said something about the next location. However, I accidentally skipped through it and missed what he said. It was only a sentence about Windia though. Anyways, while going through the Focus Tower, I found an alternate path that lead below the tower into THE DOOM CASTLE! I wasn't able to explore the area much, but the path did lead to the Aero spell. So it was worth the effort of fighting one monster.
     With that done, I head back up and out of the Focus Tower and to the southwest. The first stop along the way is just an event location. Seriously, I only stop here so that Reuben can fail to fight a monster, fall down a bridge but be unhurt, and then Tristam walks in to take his place. That is all it is. You can't go back ever again. Oh well, goodbye Reuben! We're heading on without you into the ALIVE FOREST!
     The Alive Forest is full of all sorts of ghosts and mummies. Strangely enough, there really aren't any evil demon trees to fight. That would make more sense here, but it's all good. I destroy all of them to reach a fancy Giant Axe and a tree with a face. (Let's just assume he's the ALIVE part of this forest.) Keeper and Tristam attempt to speak with him, but they can't understand him. Tristam mentions Kaeli's ability to speak with trees, and Keeper figures she's finally in Aquaria now. So... I get to backtrack all the way back to Aquaria. (Not a huge trip, just an annoying one.) One trip to to Aquaria later...
     I find that Kaeli is at Phoebe's place. Phoebe says that Kaeli is tired from the trip and resting, but I should go speak with her grandpa (Spencer) in the meantime. And wowzers a lot happens in this short visit. When I find Spencer in the cave below, he informs me that he can't finish the tunnel to get to Captain Mac without Otto's help. Otto is supposedly in Windia, but then he drops that and asks who Tristam is. Tristam introduces himself as a treasure hunter. Spencer mentions that he recently heard a rumor of some fancy armor. Tristam and Spencer immediately abandon me and head out to locate it. Before leaving though, Tristam hands over the fancy Dragon Claw. Neato!
     With those two gone, Phoebe comes in and asks what is going on. Keeper explains that the two left, and then she tries to go finish the cave Spencer was building. However, she does exactly the stupid thing and tries to finish it using a bomb. This causes part of the cave to collapse, and so she runs off to tell Spencer what she did. She asks me to take care of Kaeli and dashes off. I work my way around and back up to Spencer's House. Kaeli has just woken up, and she asks about her father. Keeper says yes, but now we have to see Otto in Windia to remedy the situation. (Seriously, it goes in exactly that order.) KAELI JOINS THE PARTY!
     First things first, the Dragon Claw is pretty awesome. It works like a claw, but it has a cable attached to it. You use it as a grapple hook and can shoot it all wimbly-nimbly! Unfortunately, I have to head immediately back to Alive Forest after less than ten minutes of time in Aquaria. Going to fast forward right to the part with the giant tree with a face. Aaaaaaand
     We're there! Kaeli asks the tree if he will let us pass by him. He agrees to let us through, but he asks that we "whack the monsters inside him". Keeper figures that's easy enough, and we enter inside the tree. Inside the tree, the monsters are a huge assortment of random. There are mummies, ghosts, trees, frogs, scorpions, golden skeletons (named skuldiers), and it's just ridiculousness. The frogs and scorpions make some sense I guess. The inside of the tree feels pretty big too. There's lots of side rooms to explore, and you even find the Meteor spell! After a lot of exploration and screenshots, I finally make it to the top.

Frogs and Toadstools. GET IT?
Evil trees inside of a tree... TREECEPTION?
HA! Skuldier.
It's a Chimera!
Just in time for... BOSS BATTLE TIME! It's Gidrah, and he looks like a big ol' Chimera to me.

Okay, it's Gidrah.
Goat out of here!
Imma DRAGON you down Gidrah!
The boss doesn't offer too much challenge, much like the last one, but he can petrify. Kaeli's resistant to it though, so it's a much easier time than with Medusa. After a few rounds, I randomly tried the Aero spell on him and turns out that it is his weakness. Kaeli also has the Aero spell, so after I eliminated his cohorts, Gidrah went down pretty quickly. (Sorry about those puns. Couldn't resist!)
     With the tree cleared of monsters, we talk to the face inside the tree right in front of us. He thanks us for killing the monsters and offers to carry us to our destination of Windia. After he drops us off, I check out the nearby temple and meet up with the Old Man again. He says that Captain Mac will tell me about the prophecy and zooms off as usual. Two Battlefields with meh prizes later, and I'm in Windia!
     Not much of a town to see here, but I do buy a Cupid Charm from one of the villagers. Then I look around for Otto. When I approach him to talk, he says something about "not right now". His daughter Norma went to the tower north of her using his Rainbow Road. Unfortunately, the road making machine broke because of a powerful wind blowing from Mt Gale. Kaeli adds that the Wind Crystal is most likely on the mountain, so we should head there now. Thus we dropped anchor just long enough to pull it back. Our next destination... Mt Gale!
     Or so it would be, but I felt I should go ahead and cut the post off right here. It's a pretty short post, but I figure it's best to end here. The ending can't be too far off, and if I don't stop here, it'll be like double the length it needs to be. Anyways! Look forward to Mystic Quest coming to an end quite soon. Once I finish that, it'll finally be time for me to start the Dragon Quest series! Woo!
     The couple of games will even come along with fancy screenshots since I'll be playing them through an emulator. (FYI, I do own actual copies of the ones I'll be emulating.) I am still lacking Dragon Quest V and Dragon Quest VII though because they're the most expensive ones to get. I'm trying to mostly play the remakes because an up-to-date game will be easier to play in the long run. Also America didn't get several of the games... I think we stopped at Dragon Quest IV and didn't get anymore until Dragon Quest VII. (Almost exactly the Final Fantasy route!) I have rambled enough though.
     Thanks for reading and look forward to Mystic Quest ending soon!


Ending Point - Windia.
Current Party -
  • Keeper - Level 30
  • Kaeli - Level 31
Screenshots - IMGUR Album.
Goals Accomplished - Made it to Fireburg. Obtained the Mega Grenade. Rescued Reuben's father. Made it to the Volcano, defeated the Fire Hydra, and restored the Fire Crystal. Made it to Alive Forest then had to leave and come back. Helped out the giant tree by defeating the monsters inside of it. Made it to Windia.
Next Goals - Restore the Wind Crystal at Mt Gale. Save Norma at the tower. Save the world!

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment