Thursday, March 29, 2012

Day 24


Game - Final Fantasy 3, Day 24
Hours Played/Hours Total - 8-1/2 hrs / 45-1/2 hrs
Starting Point - Nearby Bahamut's Lair
Current Goal - Climb Syrcus Tower and defeat Xande. Save the world!

What Happened - This shall hopefully be my last post on Final Fantasy 3. Time for this adventure to come to an end!...So that I can start another one!
     I left off on my last post talking about some level up time before proceeding to the end. I spent somewhere around 4 hours (not paying much attention during) in Bahamut's Lair leveling up as best as I could. The biggest goal was to gain job levels since I swapped out everybody to different jobs. Although I had to re-level them, the new jobs were totally worth it. The Ninja (equipped with two blades) and the Black Belt (set of claws) were able to do large amounts of physical damage while the Summoner dealt out huge magic damage with fully powered summons. The Devout lost some points in Level 1 spells but gained a better amount of casting for higher level spells. Overall, it was a great change over. The enemies in Bahamut's Lair weren't very challenging, but they did hand out a decent amount of experience. It was generally enough experience that I could level up once every 4-5 battles. Not much more to add here...I eventually got tired of leveling up and decided it was time for the FINAL DUNGEON CHALLENGE THROWDOWN! So I left Bahamut's Lair and head back to the Ancient Maze.
     Before I could climb the tower, I was forced to traverse this perilous maze...That's how I would have described the maze if it were remotely perilous. The enemies were tough but none of them were ridiculously powerful. The maze wasn't so much a maze as it was a single path with a few branch offs with treasure. There weren't any real dead ends or traps at all, just a path with treasure branches. After making it past the maze, I was face to face with the massive and ominous Syrcus Tower! I saved my game outside and proceeded inside for final dungeon time.
     Inside Syrcus Tower, it was already apparent I was going to have fun going up the tower. All of the enemies I fought were remakes and upgrades of old bosses. Thankfully my new and improved jobs were able to kick ass and take names without too much of a fight. I did have to keep up with some extra healing of course. The first floor alone had like 8 treasure chests full of items! It was a split between armor I had no use for and items that cast like magic. Before proceeding upward however, I went into a chamber in the middle. This chamber contained a door that took me to The Forbidden Land, Eureka. I believe this is the sacred land chocked full of super weapons that Doga mentioned earlier on in-game. I began exploring this mystical place. The enemies weren't too tough, and there was treasure abound! However, the biggest prize here was a pile of legendary and powerful super weapons. Of course, they aren't free for the taking. I had to beat a specialized boss for every weapon. Unfortunately for those bosses, they weren't that challenging at all. Each one went down with very little trouble caused by any of them, and it fully healed me after every battle (as it does with all boss battles). After taking them all down (I got several swords, a staff, a rod, and some sort of circular blade), I proceeded forward and found...a secret magic shop! It contained all of the level 8 magic for black and white as well as the level 6, 7, and 8 summons (Odin, Leviathan, and Bahamut respectively). After accomplishing all of that, I teleported out of the tower and started again.
     Inside Syrcus Tower (Take 2), I finally began my perilous journey up the tower to find and defeat Xande. This would also mean saving the world from darkness or something. Either way...the journey of final journeys began! Let me tell you...this was a long ass trip up this damn tower. It certainly fell like forever. I doubt it was actually that far up, but it sure stretches the time out when you have to battle monsters every 5-50 steps. Anyways, one long and battle-filled trip later, I finally made it to the top. There was a mirror there...that cursed all the characters. Of course, this was a story element AND was quickly solved by the soul/spirit of Doga. He retrieved a pile of NPCs that somehow held the curse at bay while we charged into said mirror. Woo? I could explain it, but it'd take more time/almost as much time as I'm taking to type this. Inside the mirror was a dark and evil place...also Xande! He made a general bad guy speech, and we charged forward for BOSS BATTLE TIME! Although I probably shouldn't have all capitalized that because he was a big damn pushover. After his defeat, Xande mentioned something about Darkness succeeding regardless...and then he died. Cut scene time! Turns out, Xande was summoning a giant Cloud of Darkness to destroy all of everything as we know it and "return it to the Void." The final bit is how the Cloud put it. That's right...the actual final boss guy is a giant cloud named Cloud of Darkness. That my friends is an incredibly formidable bad guy. He begins his destruction of everything by attacking me for BOSS BATTLE TIME AGAIN! Unfortunately for me, he greatly achieves our destruction because he kills us first round.
     Oh noes! That is not the true reaction I'd have in this circumstance, but I already know (thanks to a guide warning) that he is set to win this battle. The party is dead...or so it seems! Through the power of story (and two stupid powerful mages), the group is resurrected. It seems that the Cloud of Darkness has retreated into the Darkness...realm to begin the ending of everything. With the group fully revived, I said goodbye to the friends and charged headfirst into the final area! The final area is a group of 5 teleporting circles leading to 5 different areas with 4 super bosses and the Cloud of Darkness. Apparently charging head first into the Cloud of Darkness will get me killed, so I get to fight off the 4 super bosses before going to him/her/it. Like my current time in the Final Fantasy games, this wasn't a very hard task. It was basically just pure, liquid annoying. I don't see why I need to run around enemy infested areas to fight four bosses that don't really have anything to do with the final guy (Cloud of Darkness). There's some story bits involved,and they all revolve around light, darkness, Cloud of Darkness, and basically explaining how and why shit happened. I don't plan to type all that so...onward! Anyways, I battle my way through difficult odds (kinda?) and multiple bone shattering monsters (again, kinda?). After defeating these 4 evil devils, I was finally able to turn my wraith to the Cloud of Darkness.
     My first thought before going into this boss battle was quite simple. "Please do not let this boss be a pushover like the final boss in Final Fantasy 2." I'm sorry! I'm still not over that...that was like Disappointment City. Population? Daniel. I apologize for the horrible joke, but I had to bring it up. Now on to the FINAL BOSS BATTLE! The Cloud of Darkness was a formidable foe. Although the look was kind of strange (green person in a black hole with yellow snakes at the shoulders), it proved itself to be quite tough. Unlike the previous titles, I didn't spend any time casting spells like Protect or Haste very often. They weren't as useful in this one. Most of the time, it would have been a waste of my Devout's turn when I SHOULD have cast Curaja. Seriously, Cloud of Darkness was dealing out enough damage that I needed a constant super heal every turn. As for offensiveness...I was just constantly attacking with the Knight and Ninja (both able to do at least 7000 each turn) while the Summoner brought forth a random choice of either Bahamut or Leviathan. I could have spent time taking down the tentacle arms, which mostly cast either Bad Breath or other spells, but I felt there was no point wasting any time on them. It was a fairly furious battle, and I came close to losing a person here and there, but I never did fall. After a harrowing battle, I was treated to...a great ending to the game. It had a decently long cut scene saying goodbye to all the people I met throughout. It had the usual...end of game explanation. It talked about light and darkness and such. Overall, I had a good time, but I'm glad it's over!
     Now...on to a final post with my final thoughts! I should have it up fairly soon, hopefully by tomorrow!

Ending Point - End of the game. I beat Final Fantasy 3!
Current Levels -
  • Luneth - Level 58 - Ninja Level 41
  • Arc - Level 58 - Summoner Level 40
  • Refia - Level 58 - Devout Level 33
  • Ingus* - Level 58 - Knight Level 30
*Yeah, I swapped him to Knight because of all the super swords I got in Eureka.

Goals Accomplished - Gained some extra levels. Made it through the Ancient Maze. Climbed the Syrcus Tower. Fought and defeated Xande. Defeated the Cloud of Darkness and his minions. Beat Final Fantasy 3!
Next Goals - Start Final Fantasy 4!!!

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment