Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Recurring RPG Review #1

And here it is! The very first Recurring RPG Review and hopefully the start of something really awesome on my part and all fifteen people who might read this. The first UNOFFICIAL review for this page was Secret of Evermore. I tried to think of something really great to review, and then it hit me! I have a game in my collection that's fairly rare, and now it's time for me to share that game with you.

The first game in the Recurring RPG Review collection will be... Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure!
Some of you are going WHAAAAAAAAAAT? right now. For those of you who aren't, here's a youtube link to see just a small glimpse of what I'm about to get myself into. (LINK) Also, to eliminate any confusion, I'm playing the original PlayStation version of the game as opposed to the NDS remake/port. I bought the game some time ago for whatever reason, and I played a good portion of it then. Unfortunately, I never quite finished the game. Thus, I'm planning to restart the game and possibly beat it for the review. I say possibly because my time is always up in the air, but this game is supposed to be super short. Anyways...

Let's jump into the review!

Recurring Fantasy Presents Recurring RPG Reviews
#1 - Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Sorry, this was the best quality I could find...
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure is a very unique RPG, to say the least. The first thing I should add is that when it says "A Musical Adventure"... It means it. At several points in the game, the characters burst out into musical numbers. They're fairly corny and weird, but it isn't the worst thing I have ever heard. They are kinda catchy too. Of course, this fact and how the cover looks below has probably already turned off several people from this game. I do not blame you at all. 

Now, as I'll be doing with every RPG review, let's start with some game history. This one has a couple interesting points to bring up. This is actually part of a trio of games in a series, but as Americans, we only got the original game back. A kinda funny fact is that Japan has gotten the original game FOUR TIMES! They did two PSOne remakes/re-releases of the original game plus the remake on NDS. (We did get the NDS one though.) As for us, we originally got the game back in 2000, and we didn't see it again until the NDS version. Of course, my understanding is that it's been made easier and has flaws. So... I dunno what to tell you there because I'm playing the original.

Another fun/interesting/post-filling fact is that the people who did this series went on to do pretty much all of the core NIS (Nippon Ichi Software) stuff like Disgaea series. Their often "cutesy" design of characters and such is reflected in this title and their others. Which isn't bad really, my favorite part of Disgaea is the story and characters, but I abhor the gameplay. (I figure I'll have a Side Post about this eventually... Not Disgaea alone but games like it.) Honestly, my memory of when I originally played this is a bit fuzzy, but it was generally a kinda slapstick game. It's generally hard to take parts of it seriously, and it has a lot of fun with itself. I've said enough extra details for now. Time to get crackin' on the actual review!

Actual Review Time Below!

Due to varying degrees of game, the general setup I use to review will change from game to game. I'm mostly referring to how things are grouped or split up. For this title, I figure the following selection is in order...
  • Aesthetics (Previously Graphics & Sound. Trying it to compact the review format a bit.)
  • Building System (How you level up and grow. A new entry in the review system!)
  • Story
  • Characters
Yes, that's what I meant. Being a mid-generation-ish title, the characters have more depth than some older titles tended to do, so characters get their own slot this time! Now, let's start off with the AESTHETICS! (Yeah, I'm going classy by swapping out words for a new word.)


The game's aesthetics really aren't all that great. Of course, this is a bit of an older titles, so you can't expect anything next gen here. However, this game isn't really anything spectacular for the period it was released.
Here are just a few screenshots I've borrowed from GameFAQs and then glued together for ease.


(You can see the rest here. Thanks goes to this Saikyo Mog and any others for uploading them all! SORRY THAT I AM SORTA STEALING THESE!)

Although it's not top notch graphics, I didn't say it was hard on the eyes either. The game goes for an anime-style for both the backgrounds and characters. For what the game is? This is pretty much spot on and works very well for it. Definitely not the best 2D art you could find in a game though. The graphics are okay, but they're nothing I'd really call memorable either. Nothing to go crazy about here. Now to part two of aesthetics!

Of course, now we come to the game's audio aspect. This is pretty much half of what Rhapsody is! You know... A MUSICAL ADVENTURE. When it says musical, it really means it. There are several musical numbers done throughout the game where the characters have a big scene of singing and dancing.  Here are a few examples of the game's musical sections. (A few of those are the actual scenes. Amazing Pirates is just the song.)

Now, you had one of a two basic reactions after seeing those. You either turned them off almost immediately, or you enjoyed them in one way or another. I don't really blame you for either reaction because most of the songs are either corny or silly. There's a few serious ones, but they're hard to take serious. The singing isn't bad, but I wouldn't call it professional style either. The songs are likable, but you're either going to like it or hate it. It's hard to have a grey area. I can't really say anything about the game's other music either though. A lot of it is either derivative of the musical numbers or kinda plain. I'd say I enjoyed the musicals, but that's mostly because they make me laugh.

So! Basically the aesthetics are going to either make you LOVE this game, or you're not going to get it and move on. There's really nothing to call a "win" here, but I can't really give it a failing grade. It was clearly aimed at a very specific crowd, and I am a mixture of the two crowds that'd be for and against it. Overall, it's pretty much just meh. I'll reiterate when it comes to actually giving it a grade later. For now, let's look into the gameplay.

As per my usual statement, "gameplay is king." Rhapsody brings to the table a very simple and generic gameplay to the table. In the original game (I heard it changed in the NDS remake), each battle is like a simplistic strategy RPG. You have squares and can move about while attacking the enemy. However, it really never gets more complicated than that. You move around and attack enemies or cast spells or play a horn. Beyond that though? There's really not much more to it. I'll try to explain this briefly as opposed to a very lengthy series of paragraphs.

Your group is composed of the main character, Cornet, and her magical puppet friends. You can also recruit monsters to your party by killing them with Cornet, but they're not nearly as powerful as the puppets you find throughout. You've got your basic attacks, and a lot of monsters/puppets gain spells to use. These vary from your usual "does elemental damage spell" to healing and area attacks and whatnot. There's nothing new about the actual actions of battle except for the horn.

One of the more interesting actions you can do is have Cornet play her horn. (There's a story element to it, but I'll hit it up later.) Playing Cornet's horn during battle doubles the attack power of all her nearby puppets for a single turn. That's just ONE tasty bonus though! On top of that, you gain notes towards the bonus meter in the top corner. (It's not pictured in the screenshots above, but it'd be a musical score in the top right corner.) Filling up the bonus meter results in rewards spells that Cornet can cast. These ranged from okay to SUPER POWERFUL. It's an interesting concept, but it's very easy to abuse.

Your party can only have four members at a time (including Cornet), but you can also carry around a backup group of ten/twelve (I didn't count) that you can swap in between battles. However, you generally don't NEED backup units in this game. Why? Because this is one of the easiest RPGs I have ever played. Granted, most RPGs aren't very hard to begin with, but this game pushes the envelope of easy to new heights.

Most battles in the game only require one or two attacks per character to kill an enemy. Before I was done with the six hours of playing, the only boss that gave me any trouble was a painting that had like four times more health than most. That was it though. Everything else was easily dealt with. Now what else do I need to cover...

The level up system? There's nothing special to it I'm afraid. It's all pretty simple and straightforward. You gain levels, levels lead to stats and spells, and you get stronger. I'd like to say "thank you" to that part, but of course, this was back in the old RPG days when pretty much every RPG did this. It works quite well, but at the same time, it's kinda boring. There's not much customization you can do apart from a couple accessories you can buy or find. Thus, this game is definitely not for a hardcore RPG veteran. Not enough crunchy RPG building for those guys/gals/robots. What am I forgetting..

Exploration! The game has a world map, but you don't explore it. You just unlock new locations as you proceed through the game, and you can walk around each individual location. This saves you travel time, and you can easily return to previous locations. That's nice, but it means there isn't a whole lot to do. You constantly revisit previous areas to find new things as well. If there was a flaw for exploring, it's knowing where to go. If you miss any of the lines in-game, it's quite possible that you'll get lost. There's no easy way (that I could tell) of where I should go next. You kinda have to just run around and hope for a scene. That aside, General exploration isn't too bad really, but I gotta say no to the dungeons.

Dungeons are just a plain maze of three to four types of map screens (the same images but different parts) that you constantly go through. Off paths lead to treasure chests, but they sometimes last longer than the actual path to the goal... Dungeons aren't fun, and the random encounter rate is all over the place. Sometimes you'll get into a battle five steps after the last one, but then you might wait forever to get into another one after that. Doesn't feel very fun or fresh, and sometimes almost didn't want to finish the dungeon.

So to reiterate gameplay, there's just nothing special. It's neither really great nor really bad. The difficulty is suuuper amounts of easy. Battles are an interesting idea but comes back to being overly easy. The "build your team" thing is nice to see and allows for variety. Glad to see an old school level up system, but there's really no innovation there. It's a nice and simple RPG for softcore RPG fans, but there's no real RPG crunching available for hardcore veterans. If it weren't for crappy exploration, I could almost pass this part with a "good!" However, I'll admit that the story is almost charming enough to be worth pushing through the rest of the game.


Ah story! It is the lifeblood of the RPG world. Without it, why would we play RPGs? Leveling aspects I guess... In general, most RPGs bring a pretty good story to the table. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure is not any different. The first and foremost thing it brings to mind is that the lead character is a girl! This is highly unseen in RPGs and games in general. So for the time, this was a pretty big deal if you ask me. Instead of a guy rescuing a princess from an evil wizard, you're the girl rescuing the prince from an evil witch. It really only flops it around, but I can forgive that.

As the story starts up, you take the role of Cornet. She's living life and wishing for true love. Her puppet friend, Kururu, tries to help her get the prince, and things evolve from there. The prince gets kidnapped and turned to stone (accidentally) by an evil witch. From there, it becomes a whole new adventure to rescue the prince and free him from the spell. I didn't play a whole lot further than that, but I also don't want to give away the rest of the story. As you journey throughout the Marl Kingdom, you gain new puppet friends and work your way through perilous dungeons to save her one true love.

Now, there's a few secrets and plots twist contained inside, but I didn't play far enough to run into those. There's lots of funny little bits scattered throughout, so those help make it more entertaining. The biggest reason to like the story though? It's nice and light hearted. The secrets and twists are interesting and very game relevant without going too far. (I looked them up, but I won't post them here.) There is no huge evil organization you are combating. The villain is serious but has enough quirkiness to her to keep her from being all depressing-like. It's a nice changeup from how most games feel like they need to be today.

On the bad side? I really don't have any negative thoughts about the story. It's not the deepest of story, but the twist does give it a little something. And although it's a nice change up of story, it's really not all that different either. They simply reversed the genders of the main roles. These are minor negatives though, and I really only put them up to have some sort of "What could be changed".

 Regardless of all this though, I'd definitely say it shines in the story category. It's not a very long story, but it's a good story all the same. I'd say it's probably one of the starring points of the game, and it's easily enough to make you push through some of the duller moments. If this isn't enough, maybe the characters will do it for you!


Now we come along to the characters in the story. For me, the characters are generally the bigger highlight than the story. It might seem weird to say that, but I've found that sometimes the characters with their individual story are better than the bigger overhanging plot of the rest of the game. In Rhapsody's case, I can't really say that's true.

Coming back to the story of the game, the characters are in about the same place. They are interesting characters, but they're not necessarily deep and complex. They're pretty simple and straightforward characters really. Of course, this game did come from a simpler time, so that's something to consider. Characters are all anime-style with their design and how they act. Cornet has a few "too girly" moments, but otherwise, she comes to the table as a serious character. She has to deal with all these weirdos, and she just wants to save her prince.

Thankfully, a saving grace of the game is that many story bits are laced with jokes and kinda funny. The characters are wacky people, and they do wacky things. Of course, this tears away from the game being taken seriously for like 50% of the game. The characters all have their moments, but there's enough wacky to balance out any seriousness. It's a good and bad thing at the same time.

Overall favorite characters? Honestly, I'm cool with about everybody, but my favorite is probably the Marjoly family. They're a group of wacky witches who make fun of one another for their quirks. They're almost always entertaining when they come on screen, so there's really no loss here. This doesn't mean I don't like Cornet or her friend Etoile, but I liked the Marjoly Witches a bit more.

So what do I say about characters? If you're cool with a general lack of seriousness, you'll enjoy just about everybody. Their designs aren't too bad, and they are fun characters in general. I'd definitely give this a pass along with the story. I can't say I would call anybody a "favorite character of all time!", but that right is generally reserved for some of my favorite RPGs like Grandia and Final Fantasy IX. Enough about that though!

We're just about to reach the finishing grade, but I'll do my usual and list a few pros and cons.

PROS
  • Interesting and fun musical numbers.
  • Easy going gameplay is great for RPG Beginners.
  • A nice light-hearted story.
  • Breaks away from the common story mold and changes things up from the norm.
  • Fun cast of characters with some pretty funny lines.
CONS
  • Graphics are interesting but not very impressive.
  • If you don't like the music, you're going to easily dislike the game.
  • Dungeons are not fun or interesting to explore.
  • Fairly easy to get lost or stuck with no clue what to do.
  • Not recommended for hardcore RPG players looking for complexity.
  • Characters are almost "too girly" at times. 
  • Incredibly short game, can easily beat within 10 to 15 hours. (That's short for an RPG.)

My Rating - 4 out of 10.

Unfortunately, I feel that the bads of this game outweigh what good could shine through. If you like the art and style of the game, you could easily consider it more of a 6 or 7 instead. If you don't enjoy them though, 4 is probably more accurate. The entirety of the game is aiming too specifically at an audience. The little jokes and the way characters tend to act is pretty much spot on for an anime-stylesque game. I enjoy many of the antics and songs, but I can't see a huge assortment of people loving it. (Thus why it's a "cult classic".)

The gameplay is overly simplistic and plays it too safe. The dungeons feel boring and are not really any fun to explore, and that's half the game! If the gameplay had a bit more crunch to it, I could probably bump the grade up a bit. As is though, the only appeal is the story and characters along with some entertaining musical numbers. It's not a bad game, but there are better choices out there if you find them.

I'd love to complete this game in the future to see the "secret plot twist" happen for myself, but once again, I'm strapped for time to do what I can WITHOUT finishing all these. I realize it's almost poor taste to review a game without fully completing it. However, I have other things I want to do, and in general a five to six hours is more than enough to judge these. To amend this little fact, I plan to review a couple RPGs that I have fully played and/or at least 90% completion! I already have two more games loaded in the chamber to write up reviews for, so look forward to those in a couple weeks. (I got other posts that need done including that five hour play of FFXIII-2...)

BACK TO THE MAIN STORY HERE! Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure is an interesting game with a different setting among a plethora of overly fantasy/steampunk/scifi settings and WHYSOSERIOUS stories. It's nice to see a random gem pop out of nowhere, but it ends up aimed at a very specific audience and can't grow from there. I enjoyed my time and will look back fondly, but I doubt to go back and play it fully again and again.


And thus ends my first official Recurring RPG Review! I'm still tweaking the format a little, but I feel I'm getting closer to how I should do it. With that said and done... I AM OFF! Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed this review of... RHAPSODY: A MUSICAL ADVENTURE!

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment