Friday, November 22, 2013

VGBA 9 - Sega Swing

The Flight Away - Sega Swing
Awesome Sega-Style Music with Pop-Style Vocals... Hurray!

Band - The Flight Away.
Sites - Facebook. Bandcamp. Soundcloud.
Type of Album - Sega-Style Chiptunes with Pop Vocals.
Genres - Chiptunes, Pop.
Favorite Song/Songs - Dance Fight!

Review - Today, we look over at The Flight Away with the album Sega Swing. This album is probably one of the most interesting ones I've run across in a while. It's got a style all its own, and it's just pretty dang fantastic. But what's so great about it?

The first thing that immediately caught me was... THE MUSIC! As soon as you hear it, it's like you're back in the old days with a Sega Genesis at your side. The style of chiptunes here is something I don't think I have ever heard anywhere else. It's just amazing! However, with the great Sega-style chiptunes comes something that not everybody is going to like... the vocals.

Granted, they aren't horrible vocals or lyrics, but it's all generic in comparison to the music. After listening to it a few times, I've gotten used to both vocals and lyrics, but I really wish I could get an instrumental version of the album instead. Overall, I just feel that the amazing chiptunes really don't need the vocals given here. (Granted, this is probably the harshest I have ever been in one of my reviews.)

Now, if you enjoy the vocals, then good for you! I'm all for it, and this is pretty much a perfect album for you at that point. I'd easily defend this album for the music alone really, so in the end, I still enjoyed my time listening to it.

However, I do apologize for this. I guess I wanted to share this album more than review it, and I can't bring it in me to attack or berate someone's good/great work. Now, if this were just an awful album, I would have never reviewed it in the first place, but there's enough good here that I'd still like to spread the word. I didn't love the vocals or lyrics, but there might be those out there who do! And thus... we come to the conclusion.

Pros - A fantastic and very unique set of chiptunes. Sega-style chiptunes for you hardcore Sega peoples. Just amazing instrumental goodness going on.
Cons - The vocals aren't bad, but they're kinda plain in comparison to the music. Same thing with the lyrics. Look past that? You still have a great album.
Rating - 3 out of 5.

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment