Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Random Post!

I've got another RPG Review in the works, and I'm still deciding what album to review next. (There's just too many to review!) Thus... Going to share a small post of a project I'm working on.

I call it... Project Dreamfall!
(Name was randomly decided and doesn't really reflect what's going down.)

I recently acquired an extra Super Nintendo. It worked, but it was dirty looking. I was happy to have the extra Super Nintendo... but the case bothered me. For those who don't know, Super Nintendos were made with a kind of plastic that yellows quite horribly with age. (Lots of things were made with that kind of plastic and have the same issue.) After some thought, I decided to try and fix the problem. I went on eBay and bought a broken Super Nintendo with a good case. See below for the comparison.

Quite a damn difference...

A screwdriver and some time later... and the cases were swapped! However, I noticed something about the broken Super Nintendo. The only problem seemed to be the power port on the back. I looked it up, and buying a new one was pretty easy (eBay again). Installing just requires some time, a few screws, and a basic soldering skill. I purchased lots of soldering stuff and got to work!

Before!
After!





















With the spot repaired, I felt pretty awesome. I mean... Sure, it was a simple job and pretty easy, but it was the first time I'd ever soldered something. This got me into a real big kick, and now I'm trying to fix up game consoles. Super Nintendo consoles are pretty easy to fix really. There's a good assortment of easy-to-fix problems, and I'm going to try and fix what I can.

On top of that, I looked up some different mods and things I can do to the Super Nintendos. Of the things available, I found that...

  1. Changing the Power LED Color
  2. Painting the console
  3. Modding to play Super Famicom (Japanese) titles
I realize that isn't much, but they are some pretty cool improvements. My personal SNES (going to abbreviate it from here on) is just the original color, but it can play Super Famicom titles and has a lovely blue LED for the power. Maybe nothing to go crazy about, but it's pretty cool looking.

Now, I'm still waiting on my batch of LEDs to come in. (Ordered on Amazon... apparently from China. Looking at a week or more.) However, I have finished painting the extra SNES in my possession. So here they are! The fruits of the last two days of labor!

Salamander SNES (Supposed to look like the Warhammer 40k Salamanders)

Iron Man SNES (Kinda sorta but not really)
Yes, I realize that they aren't too much to go crazy about, but I'm pretty proud of myself. I learned while doing the Salamander and made improvements while painting Iron Man. The paint jobs aren't perfect, but I tried my best to make them look nice. I will say that I will probably not paint controllers again. They're easy to mess up, and if you aren't careful about the layers, you mess up the buttons. Seriously... Be careful if you attempt to paint controllers and the buttons thereof. You end up with buttons that stick and... I really don't have to say more here.

Now, that's really all I had. I'm figuring to do a bit more retro console work from here on out, so expect a post like this once in a while. Yes, I am kind of trying to get away with filler material here, but I'm also indecisive of what I should review next as far as games and video game albums go.

And that's all I've got for now. Look forward to more stuff.. COMING SOON!

~May the Crystals Guide Me~

No comments:

Post a Comment